I played KILLER silverface Princeton yesterday

Mark Wein

Grand Poobah
Staff member
The gentleman who invited me to play yesterday had a silverface Princeton (and original one) that he had modded and even put a 12" speaker into. Absolutely killer. The venue had it mic'd so it was plenty loud enough but I really dug the idea of this sort of Princeton with the 12" speaker. He had a custom made Weber that put a Jensen-style speaker into a Celestion frame so that it would actually fit in the amp. With the amp halfway up I just used my volume knob for leads. When I was told to turn down by the sound man (who I don't think was very experienced at running sound for live bands in a venue like this) I ended up using my Scott Henderson RC Booster. I dug it. Very different from my silverface Deluxe with the Celestion in it.

Cool. Different how?
Less "brown" I guess. A lot of it probably has to do more wth the speaker than the amp but it was nice to have a useable early breakup at a decent volume. My amp has more mids with the greenback. This is a little more traditional and it works better for the blues stuff. My deluxe works better for the rock sounds.

a very good friend of mine traded his 1972 Princeton for a no name hard shell case for his acoustic 12 string. when he told me about it, i nearly fainted. :facepalm:
it was a really nice sounding amp.

a very good friend of mine traded his 1972 Princeton for a no name hard shell case for his acoustic 12 string. when he told me about it, i nearly fainted. :facepalm:
it was a really nice sounding amp.
I played the electric parts (and solo) on this song with @El Borrachito's SF Princeton, too.

Maybe at some point I should own a Princeton.

There is a guy on Reverb who makes a head and 12" cab to move the Princeton to a head cab, and then you can put your choice of 12" in the cab. I have been tempted. I think he also does a combo version.

There is a guy on Reverb who makes a head and 12" cab to move the Princeton to a head cab, and then you can put your choice of 12" in the cab. I have been tempted. I think he also does a combo version.
:hmm:

I still wish I knew what Silverface i played thru at a band practice back in the mid-'80s. It was old even then, so I assume it was an original.

All I remember is that it was small and relatively lightweight, probably a 10" speaker, but I *think* I remember it as having 2 speakers, so maybe a 2x10" idn_smilie

Anywhays, it didn't have any kind of a gain knob, but the more you turned it up, the more gain it had. Cranked, it had a glorious '80s rock tone, think 'Jane' by Jefferson Starship, or 'Fantasy' by Aldo Nova (same song, btw :tongue: ).

I wanna say it said Bassman on it, but researching Fender Bassmans, the combos weren't small like the one I played.

I wish that I never sold my SF Princeton Reverb back in 81. FWIW, I have my 65 BF Princeton I got last year so I guess I made up for it.

Back