I ordered a Cannabis Rex to put in my DRRI

smurfco

Meatus McPrepuce
Let's see how this works. I like the WGS speaker I have in there now but I don't love it. I've read about the C-Rex and its sonic profile and it sounds like something I'd like. Supposedly it tames the highs and mellows out the inherent ice-picky ness that a DRRI can have.

It'll be here tomorrow and I'll give it a whirl at rehearsal Wednesday, understanding full well that it will take a while to really break in.

CannabisRex-large.jpg

I have actually read comments from a few people who put that model in their DRRI and pretty universally they have liked the results.

The speaker is in and it works. Sounds really good at bedroom levels, but of course the real test will be tomorrow night when I'm able to crank it up. Well, I guess the REAL real test will be once it's broken in in a month or two, but you know what I mean.

I don't know how it's different than the WGS I had in there, except that I wasn't totally happy with how the amp sounded with it. It didn't sound bad but I always felt like it could sound a little better. The C-Rex is supposed to have a darker, chewier tone, it doesn't have as much highs so it can tame some ice-pickiness in a Fender amp. But really I'm just in a trial and error mode here.

Well it actually sounded pretty great. I'm happy. I think it will sound even better once it's broken in, but I noticed an improvement over the old speaker right away. I don't like shrill, I don't even like treble very much. I pretty much live on the neck pick up. So the speaker seems to fit me well.

I've got one in my Blues Jr. and another in an extension cab. It's my all time favorite speaker. They sound fine out of the box and just get better and better. Takes quite awhile to break in though.

Back