I occasionally forget why I tolerate the incovenience of daily driving a Miata.

dmn23

Duller than cardboard
And then sometimes its entire raison d'etre just smacks you square in the face.

DSC_6159.jpg

Purty. Last week we tried going to to check out the leaves in the Rockies. Then we remembered that the trees in the Rockies are mostly pines :(

Purty. Last week we tried going to to check out the leaves in the Rockies. Then we remembered that the trees in the Rockies are mostly pines :(

I was lazy and didn't feel like driving up to Colorado. But the drive from Chama to Antonito is supposed to be spectacular, and I made the drive between Ouray and Silverton a zillion years ago and that was a knockout.

The picture I posted was taken in the Santa Fe National Forest this morning. It's the road between Santa Fe and the ski slopes and for the most part it's just pines there too, but all of a sudden you round a bend and the entire mountainside is awash in aspens.

DSC_6180.jpg

Last edited:
Nice pics

Inconvenience? The only downside to dd'ing a miata is wondering if it's still there when you come out to a crowded parking lot; it's usually smaller and lower than everything else

Nice aspens. I did not get up to see them turn out here this year.

Aren't those birch?

So tough to tell......I thought birch trees grow individually, and aspens are the ones that grow in little bunches from a center trunk.

I could be wrong, though.

Nice pics, though.

You need some maples (orange/red) to REALLY pop the colors. :wink:

Nice pics

Inconvenience? The only downside to dd'ing a miata is wondering if it's still there when you come out to a crowded parking lot; it's usually smaller and lower than everything else

Truth. I cannot tell you how many times I've had to hunt for my car in a parking lot.

The beauty of a Miata is that it's built for a singular purpose: Fun.

It's a terrible grocery-getter, there's barely enough room for two people to stow a bag a each for a weekend trip, it's underpowered, it's small to the point of being occasionally terrifying (does that guy in the truck even see me next to him? Oh god, he's changing right into my lane...), it's loud and buzzy, there's lots of wind and road noise, there are no conveniences like cupholders or even power door locks, etc. Anyone over 6' will be miserable in it. And it gets modestly decent mileage but so does my mom's Accord. It weighs next to nothing and it changes direction on a dime, and while that might be great on winding mountain roads it's terrible on the interstate, particularly if you live in a place like I do where 70mph wind gusts aren't uncommon.

But it's hilarious fun.

Last edited:
Truth. I cannot tell you how many times I've had to hunt for my car in a parking lot.

The beauty of a Miata is that it's built for a singular purpose: Fun.

It's a terrible grocery-getter, there's barely enough room for two people to stow a bag a each for a weekend trip, it's underpowered, it's small to the point of being occasionally terrifying (does that guy in the truck even see me next to him? Oh god, he's changing right into my lane...), it's loud and buzzy, there's lots of wind and road noise, there are no conveniences like cupholders or even power door locks, etc. Anyone over 6' will be miserable in it. And it gets modestly decent mileage but so does my mom's Accord. It weighs next to nothing and it changes direction on a dime, and while that might be great on winding mountain roads it's terrible on the interstate, particularly if you live in a place like I do where 70mph wind gusts aren't uncommon.

But it's hilarious fun.

I honestly have none of these problems. Partly because the NC has many of these modern conveniences like power windows and cup holders your NB lacks. I've had plenty of seat time in all 'cept the ND so I'm pretty familiar w/ the experience in each generation. The NC has better highway manners but it's not really all that different. If I was that concerned about mileage, I'd take the bus :wink: I've come from riding motorcycles on the road so a small 2 seat convertible so any sphincter clenching moments aren't car specific to me.

Groceries? Weekend trips? no issue if you can figure out to how use all the space provided

qLSsxjm.jpg

Just went to the finger lakes region in NY for the weekend....no problems with highway driving at speeds possibly in excess of the posted limit for near 4 hours, each way.
OXRpld9.jpg

6 footers can fit...some prefer mods (lowered rails, foamectomy) but it all starts with the seating position. I'll agree with you that some of the NB seats are just awful to being with. I have a few tall friends that figure out how to make it work:
B2rXokY.jpg

There is'a spot on Rt 72 right outside Nederland that has a stretch of aspen. It's in a valley ,but you get a nice view from the road. It is a nice back way into Estes Park too.

Back