I never thought I'd type these words but...

So it is in the same tuning as mandolin? That might be something to look into.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Same intervals but CGDA instead of GDAE. Popular in Irish and Dixieland music, esp on a shorter scale tenor banjo.

I think you want a plectrum for Dixieland. Plectrum banjo is a longer scale and can be tuned "Chicago Style" DGBE, or more traditionally CGBD.

You can always use a reg 5 str and just remove the short 5 th string and tune DGBE. It would get you by without having to learn new chord shapes.

Thanks! I saw the Goldtone one last night while I was looking. I'm probably going to head over to Guitar Collector this weekend since he has a bunch of banjos that apparently no one is buying in Orance County and I'm going to try and save some money or do a trade in. If I get to the point where this is a profitcable venture then I'll buy more specific.

Gretsch has a new line of cheap imports. Haven't played one so no idea if they compete in quality.

Don't bother with traditional planetary tuners. Reg old guitar tuners actually work better and cost less.
But if you do get a 5 str, make sure the 5 th str tuner is geared and not just a friction type, those suck. You might actually wanna throw down on some Bela Jazz someday.

Tips on set up for a good sound out of a cheap banjo.

1. Get a taller bridge. Most come with a 1/2". Get a good quality 5/8". Then re-adjust to a steeper neck angle to bring the action back down. Generally done by adjusting the rods inside(if there are 2 of em). Lengthen the one closest to the head and shorten the other one(careful, it's a very slight adj). If only one rod then you'll need a shim.

2. Get the head good and tight, and even, like a good tight snare. But beware, too tight and you can ruin the head or bend the cheap pot metal brackets.

3. Strings. A banjo doesn't need heavy strings. The gauges for d,g,b,e from a reg set of Electric 9s or 10s is fine. Don't go up to 11s or 12s, too much tension.

Gretsch has a new line of cheap imports. Haven't played one so no idea if they compete in quality.

Don't bother with traditional planetary tuners. Reg old guitar tuners actually work better and cost less.
But if you do get a 5 str, make sure the 5 th str tuner is geared and not just a friction type, those suck. You might actually wanna throw down on some Bela Jazz someday.
I've got an import Gretsch banjo. It's the only one I've ever played, and it's heavy (12 lbs!), but it sounds and plays great.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I've got an import Gretsch banjo. It's the only one I've ever played, and it's heavy (12 lbs!), but it sounds and plays great.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

That's about the weight of my Gibson.
Must be the Broadcaster Deluxe? 3 ply maple rim, 1 piece flange, zinc alloy flathead tone ring. Bet it sounds great.
IMG_0940.PNG

This tenor looks nice. 3 ply maple rim, Whyte Lady tone ring. 17 frets, 19" scale.
Bet it's a loud little bugger.
Attn Mark, I was wrong about the tenor tuning. It can be tuned same as a mandolin GDAE, but an octave down. Also can be tuned Chicago DGBE, or "standard" Dixieland CGDA, depending on string gauges.

IMG_0942.PNG

Don't see that one in current production on Gretsches website. What's the upgrade beside the fancier inlay, bell bronze tone ring?
I'm not sure, but I suspect it's mostly superficial stuff. The back is pretty flamey maple. That's probably why they stopped making them and Musician's Friend closed them out for half off. $900 is pretty steep for a Chinese-made banjo, even if it's all bling'd out. But at $400 I jumped at it.

I'd love to learn the rhythm style of 4-string/tenor banjo. There's a lot of interesting harmonic work going on there. The "chord solo" thing in particular is something I'd get a lot of use from.

Back