I need help choosing a bridge.

Elias Graves

Common misfit
For my new guitar.

The design is basically a Les Paul Junior made from walnut.

I used the wood carved bridge and trap tail on my last build to help "calm down" the punchiness of the walnut. It's really percussive and sounds just explode out of it. Not much "bloom" to speak of. All the harmonics are there, it's just they don't develop over time. BAM. There they are.

The hollow body, wood bridge and trap tail were all efforts to settle it down a bit and it worked. The guitar cops an excellent ES335 sound.

The bridge. This is the same pickup that's going into the new Junior as well. I like this bridge/tailpiece setup.
01C70713-8C8E-463F-AD93-8E7695127E6A_zps4nfrqhvk.jpg

On the new build, I'd make that bridge out of the same osage orange I'm using on the fretboard.

So I'm trying to decide if I want to use a method I know works with this wood or use the traditional wraptail (which I also like.) I'm concerned, however, that the punchiness of the wrap tail combined with the edge of the walnut would be too much when combined.

But I like this bridge a lot...

http://www.philadelphialuthiertools...r-bridge-and-tailpiece-chrome-with-stud-lock/

image.jpg

image.jpg

Or I could even go with an old fashioned wraptail like a real Junior has...

But I'm not about making a faithful recreation of a Junior. This is my guitar inspired by the Junior so altering the formula some is no big deal.

What say the Weiners?

Last edited:
I get jittery thinking about drilling those stud holes in the wrong place. :facepalm:

You guys are gonna cost me money! I can get a short nickel plated trapeze for $15. The Gotoh is $55.

I get jittery thinking about drilling those stud holes in the wrong place. :facepalm:

You guys are gonna cost me money! I can get a short nickel plated trapeze for $15. The Gotoh is $55.

You could put a 2-Tek in it.... those things are only about $250. :embarrassed:

Back