I need a new career

Which is why my PA keeps growing and my band keeps landing better and better gigs. :helper:
Honestly, even though I know the music business has evaporated, I'm still making a good bit of fun money in entertainment. I wouldn't want to depend on my band to make money, as that'd mean a lot fewer fun gigs and a lot more of the hard-work gigs, but there's no doubt that it's a delightful way to supplement your income. Especially when you've got a niche as nailed down as you do.

You know, I'm making 75% what I was in 07 and see no prospects of that improving. Medicaid just announced ANTOHER 8% rate cut today. The ultralight custom manual chair that I got paid $2k for a few years ago now reimburses $1,400. My cost on the item is $1,200 and there's still a team of paperwork I have to generate to MAYBE get paid for it. After the automatic audit.

Things I thought of today:
Hot dog/sammich truck.
Mobile video game trailer.
DJ business.
Weed sales.
Pimping.
Teaching.

Sigh.

Job applied for. Development Officer for St. Gregory's University.

Mostly dealing with alumni, some fundraising stuff and working with admin and the archdiocese to promote the school. Looks like a good deal of writing, some grant proposals, speaking to alumni groups and local churches to seek donations and promote programs.
I've done most all the different tasks of the job, though in different capacities.
It's a bit of a commute but getting out of the "for profit" world would be a nice change. I always liked working at OU. Academics are generally more pleasant to be around than greedy bloodsuckers.

You know, I'm making 75% what I was in 07 and see no prospects of that improving. Medicaid just announced ANTOHER 8% rate cut today. The ultralight custom manual chair that I got paid $2k for a few years ago now reimburses $1,400. My cost on the item is $1,200 and there's still a team of paperwork I have to generate to MAYBE get paid for it. After the automatic audit.

Hot dog/sammich truck.
DJ business.
Weed sales.
Pimping.
Teaching.

Sigh.

Pimpin' ain't easy, yo.

I've never hit anyone in my life.

There's your problem...

Just making fun,I wish you well....

Believe it or not, for years now whenever I've gotten too down,which happens to us all from time to time,a Tom Petty lyric\line,has always entered my head

"most things I worry about,never happen anyway"

I actually had a boss say that to me once.
Ya know, I'm as much a capitalist as the next guy, but why does that make some people think it's a license to be a dick?
I guess some people are just dicks.

They should at least wear a condom. No one wants them spreading their dickdom around.
tumblr_mbpkeb0FJz1qiew7t.jpg

Hot dog/sammich truck.
DJ business.
Weed sales.
Pimping.
Teaching.

Sigh.

If you live in the right area, hot dog carts and/or food trucks can do very well.

I got my real estate license and do it along with my regular job. It depends on where you are but can be limitless income. I'm having a good time doing it and making decent income from it but would have a hard time dumping my regular job for it because of insurance benefits and I've never worked on straight commission. But if I lost a job I know it is a viable solution. It is a matter of working smart and having a plan. The company I work for has fantastic training and give you the tools to go as far as you want. Not for everyone and location makes a difference but it could be a winner. If you ever consider it, let me know I can help get you started.

Well, the university gig is just an entry level administrative assistant thing.

Sigh.

Back to nowhere.

I had breakfast with a VP of sales for a national company in my current line who recently bought a local company. Haven't heard anything.

Sigh.

Well, the university gig is just an entry level administrative assistant thing.

Sigh.

Back to nowhere.

I had breakfast with a VP of sales for a national company in my current line who recently bought a local company. Haven't heard anything.

Sigh.

EG, if I'd seen this thread earlier, I'd have said development officer was a fancy way of saying cold call lackey. At my current institution, they hire recent grads, chew them up, and replace them. The pay is shitty. If you can get in higher level in development, though, the pay can be pretty good, especially at a larger school or wealthy private. Most of the time time in a college job description, "officer" means entry level.

Back