I miss my old X-100B head...

Jbird

Kick Henry Jackassowski
Found a Fuzzy-faced one at the Detroit GC

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Carvin/X100B-Tube-Guitar-Amp-Head.gc

I'm thinking of pulling the trigger. The fuzzy-faced ones, from '88-'92, had a 20% gain boost from the earlier 80's X-100B/X-60's. Some people love the extra gain, some think it makes it sound like a can of bees. I think @Tiltsta has one…

The new reissue X-100B's have the 20% boost as well that you can access via a mini-toggle switch or with the foot pedal.

Anyways, they can ship it from Detroit to the Kalamazoo GC, can't they?

Yes, they can. They can also ship it to your house. $400 is a lot. Can be bought for less than half of that, if you are patent.

I bought the same model once. From GC, it arrived DOA. Head shell busted at corner, and face of amp sheared off power switch. Whoever packed it could not of done a better job. It was very weird. Maybe it was already broke and, the carpet was holding in together.

I'm in the can o' bees camp for the "late model" high-gain versions. I greatly prefer the earlier models. And $00 does indeed seem in the top of the range.

Last edited:
Yep. I've got one of those amps. I really like it. The can of bees reputation seems unwarranted to me. My amp sounds awesome. I really love the active EQ that can cut and boost signals, it really lets you dial in some interesting sounds. The amp is basically very similar to a marshall JCM800 in sound, and with the boost off it can get some pretty nice older marshall plexi style crunch. Crank up everything and it is 1980's hair metal all day (sort of an JC800 with a boost pedal).

Although I really like the amp, I've been thinking about selling it. It is a 100 watt oversized head and a 4x12 cab, which takes up a lot of space and is way more amp than I will ever need.

Back