I may have spoke too soon

When I see a band wheeling 100w Marshall heads into a small bar, I take that as my cue to leave. So far I've been right, everyone I've seen do that has sucked. Granted I've never played in a band, but if your playing through a PA what the hell do you need that much power for? Most of the best guitarists around play small 15 to 30w amps. Am I missing something?

No, you've pretty much hit the nail on the head with your observation. That doesn't mean I wouldn't like to have a Marshall stack someday, but I'm taking a page from the book of Prages and building my own when the money and time permit. Again, I'm lazy so I wouldn't be lugging that thing around to bars.

Y10 minutes? I guess you are only hauling guitar gear and no PA. If so, 10 minutes is about right.

I'm saying 1 hour for the whole band to be ready including setting up your own pa and lights.

Last edited:
Not around here. You need a pa to play most places.

some of the smaller bars like the Lakeside Lounge, won't even let you bring your own amps. they have a couple of Pro Jrs, a Peavey bass amp, and a small drumkit. you play their stuff or you don't play at all. eliminates the guys bringing in 100 watt stacks for a 20 person room.

Around here, the places that supply a pa expect you to either sell ticket with 20% going back to the band or play for the door. I don't mind that on occasion on short, opening act gigs, but it sucks to play 10-2 and have someone give you 100 bucks to split. We typically make 500 - 700 bucks for a full night.

Around here, the places that supply a pa expect you to either sell ticket with 20% going back to the band or play for the door. I don't mind that on occasion on short, opening act gigs, but it sucks to play 10-2 and have someone give you 100 bucks to split. We typically make 500 - 700 bucks for a full night.

make money? what's that? :confused:

Most places we play require you to bring your own PA. There has been a movement in Charleston in the past few years of clubs actually providing PA and lighting, though it's generally pretty trashy stuff. We've played through a few pretty dicey PAs in Charleston over the past couple of years. When given the option, we usually bring our own, though we've had some gremlins in our own PA the past few shows, so maybe using the trashy house PA wouldn't be such a bad alternative. :embarrassed:

Most of the places that provide a pa also supply an equally shitty sound guy (that usually doubles as the doorman)

I think for our first outing we are getting 100 bucks plus whatever we make at the door @ $3 per person. I don't think it will get any better locally here. None of the places here have PA's but there's three guys around that will rent out their PA's and run sound for the evening. They aren't cheap it seems

We need stories like these, since even fanuvbrak seems to have found himself a fairly functioning band. :embarrassed:

And I thank God for that every day.

So far, the only drama we've had has been looking for a singer. We had settled on this one kid but he was young and very gay. After three practices he said he just couldn't do it anymore. He said singing songs about about women was just false for him.

We wished him luck with his Lady Gaga tribute band.

BUT: we have recently auditioned a singer who is really, really good. Plus, he has a personality that is very close to the band's.

Once the final decision has been made, I will be making an announcement.

As for this guy, he'd make a great fit with the basshole Dave, who said my Classic 50 "didn't move enough air".

I just got a call from crazy dude saying he just bought a 32 channel Mackie board for $850.

"I CAN'T WAIT TO SET THIS UP ON SATURDAY!!"

What...the...hell messedup0

"WE CAN NO HAVE 6 SEPARATE MONITOR SENDS!!!"

:cry:

I have no idea where something like that is going to fit in the place we are playing :annoyed:

Does it have a send for explosives and smoke ? :facepalm:

Other that festivals... NOBODY has a house system around here. It's one thing I'd like to do in the future is have a club geared around live music and have a killer house system with lights. I would think having open mic's and demo gigs early in the week with paid gigs on the weekends would be the way to go.

the key to pa stuff is keep it simple yet adequate. I put together a rolling rack with the board, efx, eq's, crossover, etc all pre wired. Plug it in, plug the outputs from the xover and monitor send into the power amps rack, plug the power amps into the speakers and it's done. If you are wiring everything up during the setup, you're asking for something to go wrong usually.

the key to pa stuff is keep it simple yet adequate. I put together a rolling rack with the board, efx, eq's, crossover, etc all pre wired. Plug it in, plug the outputs from the xover and monitor send into the power amps rack, plug the power amps into the speakers and it's done. If you are wiring everything up during the setup, you're asking for something to go wrong usually.

Thats why I use a Mackie powered head. This is kind of the "standard rig" around here: http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.co...XGB&ZYXSEM=0&gclid=CL245aP1i6MCFRJjgwod2gc3bA.

I've had mine for 8 years and besides hundreds of gigs it gets used daily in the studio.

Back