I love visiting this amp. I want one.

Mark Wein

Grand Poobah
Staff member
I occasionally get invited to sit in with a local blues band called Crosscut Delux (@Modern Saint has played with them before) and the "guest" amp is usually the other guitarists' silverface Princeton that he's rebuilt himself and put a custom 12" speaker in that is just KILLER. The speaker is a Weber that has a Jensen-style cone but in a Celestion frame so that it would fit around the output transformer in the amp. If you can turn it up is breaks up beautifully and when you can't (notice that it is on 2 in the pic) it gets along with pedals like my Scott Henderson RC Booster or the other guys' Wampler Clarksdale) quite well. Someday I'd love to get an amp like this. Its like my Deluxe Reverb but a little better suited for blues gigs.

14462957_10154598061287425_7921843051954956809_n.jpg

They need to make a special version of that with Red, Yellow, and Green piping around the grill, a tweed (hemp) front and call it the KINGSTON. :helper:

I didn't realize that. It's probably another reason why I relate to it so much well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I asked Richard last time I saw him. What he did kind of reminds me of what Randall Smith did when he started Boogie. He modified Princeton's to Fender Bassman specs with a 12" except this one to a DR.

Fuck me...
Those are horribly underrated amps. You can see it in the top pic below next to Richard. When Kid Ramos did his clinic at Premier some years ago he was using his sons Pathfinder. I'd probably buy one if I saw it in a store.

A couple of pics from last night. The Princeton is actually sitting backwards on the drum riser to my right. They have a full time sound guy who is pretty on top of everyone for their volumes so this amp was on two and facing the back wall with a mic on it (as you can see in the OP) and I was hearing myself more from the floor monitors while we were playing. Not how I would do things but the house sound guy is the "house" sound guy.

jax1.jpg

Some day I'll learn to smile.

jax2.jpg

Also, these are the first pictures where I can tell I've lost some weight. I haven't worn that shirt in years but it totally fit. 23lbs to go since March and about 30 left to go.

That sounds like my dream amp. Get building Saint :grin:

I was planning to do one a few years back but instead found a BF Princeton of which the only mods I did were speaker replacement and replaced the 2-prong cord for a 3 and removed the death cap. However I have the chassis and face plate to build a BF Vibrolux clone. While not as small as Princeton, will serve what I needed it to do.

Now on a side note, I wish that I never sold my SF Princeton Reverb back in 1981 - who knew. I did mod that amp for a 12" speaker after reading about what Randall Smith did to the original Boogies. And besides, I still own my Mesa Boogie Mark IIB.

Back