I Listened To A Country Music Station On The Radio Today

Elias Graves

Common misfit
I heard songs about tractors, pontoon boats, lemonade, girls beating up/trashing the cars of/humiliating their cheating boyfriends and generally the superiority of redneckery.

Songs of the mundane. Damn, these writers are more repetitive than Hollywood screenplay authors.
What a wasteland.

Oh GOD it's horrible...each song worse than the last all written to the same formula...generic voices without any individual character...and the same studio players on every record...

You could drop "the bomb" on Nashville right now...wouldn't bother me in the slightest...

Wait to you here the Karaoke version of Truck Yeah. I prayed for a comet to hit Allendale Michigan.

We do alot of Modern Country ,and while it goes over great and we gig very steadily......................... THE SHIT SOUNDS THE SAME!

Here is a verse of a very popular tune we do :thu:
Well, you can see the neighbors butt crack nailing on his shingles
And his womans smokin, Pall Malls watchin Laura Ingalls
And grannys getting lit, shes headin out to bingo
Yeah, my buddies and me are goin muddin
Down on Blue Hole Road, you know, you know

I rather listen to those lyrics than ones about demons, the devil and all the other crap. Besides the lyrics to Christine Sixteen style makes me laugh

I can't say that pop music lyrics are that much better. There's only so many things out there to sing about after a while.

I can't say that pop music lyrics are that much better. There's only so many things out there to sing about after a while.

This is true. Pop music has always been mostly that way.
I guess what bugs me most about it is the kind of reverse snobbery that's so pervasive in it.
It has almost become meta-music where just writing about life isn't good enough. Now you have to write about your life and why it's so much better than the city life.
Probably a result of so many years of the mass culture looking down on country folk as bumpkins.
What cracks me up about the city elitists, however, is that they tend to ignore the 80% of urban dwellers who live in the low rent district with no education to speak of.
In the end, I'd wager that the ratio of intelligent people to idiots is about the same whether you search in the city or out. I know many farmers who have masters degrees in agriculture, use the internet widely for information, operate combines with gps devices and know more about biology than most.

farmer-with-ipad.jpg

Then there's this guy living next door...

redneck27.jpg

Last edited:
That reverse snobbery thing gets me. I hear politicians put down college education and shake my head.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with a college education, but there is also a lot of worthless bullshit being taught in college as well. I think the person matters more than the level of education they have received. Some of the smartest people I know don't have degrees and some of the dumbest people I know do. I had a girl work for me that had a masters in finance, she didn't know how to figure out sales tax. True story. I will take someone with practical experience over most recent college grads any day. Unfortunately critical thinking is a skill most of them lack. They just regurgitate stuff they read in a book. Of course that's not all of them, but it is a disturbingly high amount of them. :shrug:

Old country music had it's fair share of cliche at times too, but it was far more about real life and great stories.

Modern country is all about the image and the cliche. Period. There are a few exceptions, but so much of what gets played on the radio is so fake and contrived. And unfortunately that is the stuff that is selling. The artists making some of the best country out today have to live in the fringes playing 'B' level halls and not selling many CDs.

Back