I left a couple of my friends at the doctors...

Mark Wein

Grand Poobah
Staff member
My McFeely 454 and Les Paul Standard are at Grant Guitars for the next couple of weeks for setups and a set of replacement tuners in the case of the McFeely. Both are refret candidates but we decided that the McFeely has one fret dressing left in it (the frets are pretty worn the fuck out) and the Les Paul should just be played without a dressing because doing a good dressing at this point will make it play like a fretless wonder and I don't want that. Yay. I have probably three refrets to pay for next year (my other Les Paul will be getting a bit of a face lift as well).

Considering how you use them stainless frets would be a worthwhile investment...sucks that they all hit at the same time, but yours don't spend a lot of time in cases...

Do the EVO gold frets. I hear they are about halfway in between regular frets and SS frets, hardness-wise, but you only need regular fret tools to work with them. You'd get much more life out of your frets, and your local luthier doesn't need to get specialized tools, a win-win.

Mojo sent! I need to pack up a bunch of things to my friend who techs for me, now that the longstanding local (the one Tom Petty hung out in and worked at as a kid) closed. Have a couple guitars with input/electrics probs, a tube head that hopefully just needs a retube, and a Vox combo and a PA coulmn with broken input jacks.

Having so much crap means I take forever to get repairs done, because I just switch to alternate gear.

Mojo sent! I need to pack up a bunch of things to my friend who techs for me, now that the longstanding local (the one Tom Petty hung out in and worked at as a kid) closed. Have a couple guitars with input/electrics probs, a tube head that hopefully just needs a retube, and a Vox combo and a PA coulmn with broken input jacks.

Having so much crap means I take forever to get repairs done, because I just switch to alternate gear.
That’s kind of how it works here too although I not have as much as i used to.

That’s kind of how it works here too although I not have as much as i used to.

I'm hoping to have Crash Pad back on the boards by the end of January, so at a minimum I need to get my Sovtek head looked at. That Tube Midget into a Risson 4x12 (or my vintage Kustom 1x15, for a smaller room or smaller stage footprint) has been my Crash Pad rig for years now. I've got a couple '80's solid state Marshalls I could use in a mini-stack (I payed a reunion show with a different band a few months back with them), and in the distant past have gigged my vintage Sunn head, with a stompbox, with the same cabs (and before that, my Super Reverb with a dirtbox), but I'd rather go with what I know.
19756931054_7622f015c3_n.jpg
32879587304_3ccde6f63b_n.jpg

I'm hoping to have Crash Pad back on the boards by the end of January, so at a minimum I need to get my Sovtek head looked at. That Tube Midget into a Risson 4x12 (or my vintage Kustom 1x15, for a smaller room or smaller stage footprint) has been my Crash Pad rig for years now. I've got a couple '80's solid state Marshalls I could use in a mini-stack (I payed a reunion show with a different band a few months back with them), and in the distant past have gigged my vintage Sunn head, with a stompbox, with the same cabs (and before that, my Super Reverb with a dirtbox), but I'd rather go with what I know.
19756931054_7622f015c3_n.jpg
32879587304_3ccde6f63b_n.jpg

You know EHX is making those Sovtek Mig 50s now? I haven't played one, but my trigger finger is very itchy :grin:

https://reverb.com/item/3601868-electro-harmonix-mig-50-tube-guitar-amplifier-head-sovtek-reissue

You know EHX is making those Sovtek Mig 50s now? I haven't played one, but my trigger finger is very itchy :grin:

https://reverb.com/item/3601868-electro-harmonix-mig-50-tube-guitar-amplifier-head-sovtek-reissue
:barney:

WHOA! I didn't know about the re-ish. That's not the same amp as mine, though.

Confusingly, Sovtek put out two different fifty watt heads. The regular MiG50, in a box a little smaller than a standard Marshall-size box, was more like a Fender Bassman amp, and didn't have a master volume. That's the one EH is reissuing:
y4dzlmsddnm4aupjqpy0.jpg

With the channels jumped like this, the two volumes might work like a gain and a volume, but generally I think it was designed to only use one channel or the other, like a lot of classic Fender amps, with each volume for each channel.

At any rate, the OTHER fifty watt Sovtek was called the "Tube Midget," and was in a still smaller box. The model number for the Midget is MiG50H. This also had two separate channels, high and low, not switchable, but the Midget has a volume and a gain, like a master-volume JCM 800. They're both good amps (a former bandmate of mine had the big-box MiG50) but the Midget is a better match for Crash Pad.

19859_230332688878_2630593_n.jpg

:barney:

WHOA! I didn't know about the re-ish. That's not the same amp as mine, though.

Confusingly, Sovtek put out two different fifty watt heads. The regular MiG50, in a box a little smaller than a standard Marshall-size box, was more like a Fender Bassman amp, and didn't have a master volume. That's the one EH is reissuing:
y4dzlmsddnm4aupjqpy0.jpg

With the channels jumped like this, the two volumes might work like a gain and a volume, but generally I think it was designed to only use one channel or the other, like a lot of classic Fender amps, with each volume for each channel.

At any rate, the OTHER fifty watt Sovtek was called the "Tube Midget," and was in a still smaller box. The model number for the Midget is MiG50H. This also had two separate channels, high and low, not switchable, but the Midget has a volume and a gain, like a master-volume JCM 800. They're both good amps (a former bandmate of mine had the big-box MiG50) but the Midget is a better match for Crash Pad.

19859_230332688878_2630593_n.jpg

Sounds like we need to start hammering EHX to reissue that one too. Maybe release a Crash Pad signature head :grin:

I’m really considering it for the McFeely although finding someone local to do it is a bitch.
I don't have personal stainless steel fret usage experience, but like jelloman says, you seem like a prime candidate! There have got to be plenty of people in socal who do stainless (dunno how local you need local to be..)

The McFeely gets played a bunch doesn't it.
What is it,4 years old and it needs a refret?

Stainless steel for sure.

I'll give a vote for high quality stainless. My Anderson still has NO visible signs of fret-wear after 14 years of torture. I still can't believe it - all of my other guitars with regular frets have really obvious wear and in the case of my Strat is on it's second refret.

I'll jump on the SS bandwagon. My Emerald is seven years old and gets played pretty much every day. The frets are perfect and shiny. I have a Tacoma that after a similar amount of play has grooves worn in the frets as well as a distinct flattening. If you need new frets, you may as well pay the extra and ensure that it's the last time you'll ever need to do so.

Back