I learned something interesting today....

Tiltsta

Show me your frittatas
Staff member
Colonel Klink from Hogan's Heroes was played by Werner Klemperer, who although German born, served in the United States Army in World War II, his family having emigrated to the US in 1935. John Banner who played Sergeant Schultz was Austrian and fled to the US when Austria was annexed by the Nazis. He served as a supply clerk in the US Army Air Corps. Hans Askin who played General Burkhalter on the show was another Austrian who fled to the US. He also served as a Staff Sergeant in the US Army Air Corps during WWII. So, all the big German parts were played by former US soldiers.

Bob Crane who played Colonel Hogan was in high school during WWII and never served in the war. Richard Dawson served in the merchant marines, but was never in WWII. None of the cast on the American/Allied side served in the war. Only the French Actor, Robert Clary, who played Corporal LeBeau had any significant history in the war, having been sent to a series of Nazi extermination camps, ending up at Buchenwald where he was eventually liberated by allied forces.

Last edited:
I did not know that.

Loved Hogans Heroes as a kid. For a long time it was on just before or after Star Trek. :cool:

they both HAD to have a pretty good sense of humor to play those parts, having lived and served against the nazis themselves.

Hans Askin who played General Burkhalter on the show was another Austrian who fled to the US. He also served as a Staff Sergeant in the US Army Air Corps during WWII.

they both HAD to have a pretty good sense of humor to play those parts, having lived and served against the nazis themselves.

It seems both Schultz and Klink had Jewish ancestry, and Banner lost a lot of is family to the holocaust. That probably made it even harder. No idea on Askin, as there isn't much information out there on him.

I find that very interesting. You ever see the movie on Bob Crane? Dude was a stone cold sex freak. Scary.

I find that very interesting. You ever see the movie on Bob Crane? Dude was a stone cold sex freak. Scary.

I never saw the movie, but I read a true crime novel that had his murder and backstory in it once.

Bob Crane was murdered in a hotel here in Scottsdale Arizona. He was one kinky mother fucker.
bob-crane-girl.jpg

It seems both Schultz and Klink had Jewish ancestry, and Banner lost a lot of is family to the holocaust. That probably made it even harder. No idea on Askin, as there isn't much information out there on him.

i would imaging that playing parts that made the nazis appear to be complete boobs made it a little easier.

Back