I just spatchcocked a turkey

I just dry brined mine last night. And I'll be spatchcocking either tonight or tomorrow morning.
Can't wait!

I've been spatchcocking roaster chickens for the last year or so--a whole roasted chicken in about 1/2 in the oven. I don't think my oven (or any of my pans) are big enough for a split turkey.

I've been spatchcocking roaster chickens for the last year or so--a whole roasted chicken in about 1/2 in the oven. I don't think my oven (or any of my pans) are big enough for a split turkey.
I like to spatchcock and then grill chickens, I've never actually done it for roasting.. This is a pretty small turkey, it just barely fits in my largest pan

So, this is my first year spatchcocking/smoking a turkey.
I've done quite a bit of research, but I'm a little nervous about the cook time. Anyone have experience in this area?
Turkey is 13 1/2 lbs. From what I've read, it shouldn't take more than about 3 1/2 hours at 250°. Does this sound right?

So, this is my first year spatchcocking/smoking a turkey.
I've done quite a bit of research, but I'm a little nervous about the cook time. Anyone have experience in this area?
Turkey is 13 1/2 lbs. From what I've read, it shouldn't take more than about 3 1/2 hours at 250°. Does this sound right?
Not much help with planning your meal, but use a thermometer to determine when it's done. I still have to check the temp on mine to believe it's done.

Not much help with planning your meal, but use a thermometer to determine when it's done. I still have to check the temp on mine to believe it's done.
I've got a killer thermometer.
ET-732-1-300.jpg

Cool! I hadn't heard of that until now.

The closest I've seen is when my brother deboned two turkeys, keeping the meat and skin intact, so that he could fit both in the oven at the same time. It also allowed him to stuff them so we could have the traditional stuffing as well.
The shape ends up in a ball though. So, I'd have to ask him how cooking time is affected.

Well, the spatchcocked, smoked turkey was mostly a success. It took a little over 4 hours, which wasn't too bad. But it stalled a couple hours in, so we had to crank the heat up to get it to the proper temp. It was tender and juicy as all git-out, and it had a lovely smokey, BBQ flavor. However, the skin was rubbery, and though the flavor was nice, it didn't scratch the traditional Thanksgiving roast turkey itch. I'm glad we tried it and had the success we did, but I don't think I'll smoke for Thanksgiving again. I can definitely see smoking a boneless, skinless turkey breast for a regular dinner, though. And I'll absolutely spatchcock the bird for traditional roasting from now on.

Spatchocking whole birds is a great way to get a nice even cook.
Galantine is another good option for birds if you don't want to cook them whole......

Don't watch if you sensitive in disposition or stomach:

Back