I just returned my Fender Excelsior

PunkKitty

Horny bag of electric meat
It's a nice amp but it weighs a ton. And my semi hollows sounded like crap through it. I could have replaced the tone switch with a pot and voided the warranty. It probably would have improved the amp. But then I checked the resale value on the Excelsior. It's about what I paid. So I decided to go back to my Kustom Defender. It consistently sounds good with every guitar I play.

So for those looking for a Fender Excelsior in the Chicago area, there's one at the Sam Ash in Lombard.

My hollow bodies can sound spongy through my Blues Jr. It kind of bums me out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry it didn't work out for you PK. I recently put money down on a Fender Ramparte. I had my Thinline Tele in for a tweak (they cleaned some oxidation off the jack), and when I got it back, I decided to plug it into the Ramparte that they had at the store. It really sounded sweet, so I'm hoping I still think so when it's home.

I kept this one for a month. Today was the last day I could have returned it. Originally I thought it sounded close to my old 5e3. But really it was a pale imitation. It's just not that versatile of an amp. Like I said, I can get better sounds out of my Kustom Defender v15. That's especially true if I hook up an external cabinet and use it as a small stack.

The Excelsior is good for solid bodies. But just having a dark/bright switch instead of a tone control really limits it. My semis just sounded flat.

Lots of fans of the Excelsior. I'm not one of them.

Ramparte sounds a million times better, for my tastes anyways.

I like my Excelsior and got it for a buck ninety nine. The best part was that it has the upgraded speaker. I just got the pot to add the tone control. The switch is meh and I prefer it to be mid way.

Even Andy can't make that thing sound good.

I know a few people here have them and like them but every time I have tried one I thought they sounded like crap. I guess it all depends on the tone you are going for but I really dislike the Excelsior.

Back