I just ordered some PA speakers.

Prages

User Error
When they first came out, Lino bought a pair of Mackie SRM450 powered speakers. We've played hundreds of gigs with them. Several years ago I bought a pair for myself.

Then, a few years back, during Pragestock, I finally managed to let the magic smoke out of one of Lino's speakers, so I basically gave him my newer ones and kept the one blown speaker and the one functional older speaker.

Anyway, Mackie has a $100 mail in rebate right now on the SRM450V3, so they are only $399 each.

I just ordered a pair. The V3 is more than double the wattage and about half the weight of the V1. Hopefully the V3 sounds as good as, or better than the V1.

Also, SDOTD today was speaker stands for $21, so I ordered a pair of those as well.

Now I need to book a few solo, or Ego gigs to justify my purchases. :embarrassed:

Relevant thread is relevant.

As of today, we are rocking six of those Mackies (same model) along with a pair of really nice powered Yamaha monitors. All of my Behringer gear (powered mixer and mains) went to a new home this morning.

Our entire system is now built around a plethora of powered monitors being run from Mainstage on a MacBook via a Focusrite Clarett 8 Pre and a patch bay. It is magnificent.

I have a pair of the SRM 450's v2. I love them. I bet the v3 speakers are even better. We've used the 450's in the cover band since the early 2000's.

I have a pair of the SRM 450's v2. I love them. I bet the v3 speakers are even better. We've used the 450's in the cover band since the early 2000's.

Yeah, we've been rocking the V1s since the early 2000s. I'm excited to hear the V3s. I'll eventually add a couple of 350s for monitors.

Yeah, we've been rocking the V1s since the early 2000s. I'm excited to hear the V3s. I'll eventually add a couple of 350s for monitors.
Apparently the V1's were made in Italy and sound a little better. Dominic has a set of those. They might have sounded better when new but at this point I can't tell a difference between them and my Chinese V2's.

Those are what LMA uses for live events. Awesome speakers, especially at their price point.

Apparently the V1's were made in Italy and sound a little better. Dominic has a set of those. They might have sounded better when new but at this point I can't tell a difference between them and my Chinese V2's.

I think the V1s did switch to China at some point. I believe Lino's originals were made in Italy, and my later V1s, I think, were Chinese. Both sets were basically identical (other than the older ones being more beaten up), and I never noticed them sounding any different.

Geez, I don't know what version of these any or all of the ones we are using are. I didn't buy any of them... which is freaking awesome after the amount of money I've invested in this band :)

I just know that the four we already had sound fantastic, and that the bass player scored another pair on Saturday. I'll check 'em out at rehearsal on Thursday.

I really enjoyed selling my Behringer PA this weekend, not because I didn't like it, quite the opposite in fact. I enjoyed it because mom and dad were buying for their tone deaf 16 year old kid and his band. Oh my! It was hilarious. I feel so, so sorry for them.

I have to say though, that overall I was extremely happy with that set up. No way anything else could come close for the money. That powered mixer served us for over two years without a hiccup, and the BXL15XL Speakers for a year. Tough little system that sounded well above the price point.

All that said, the Mackies are a massive upgrade.

Honestly, I imagine any version is a vast improvement over Behringer.

I know both the old V1 and the newer V1 sound great, and the only problems we've had with them are a couple of thermal shutdowns on hot summer gigs in direct sunlight, and the explosion of the 10+ year old speaker during Pragestock, when it was cranked too high and probably didn't have enough air circulation.

Mark says the V2 sounds great, and has been reliable.

I'm looking forward to trying the V3. I'd think it would be an improvement over the nearly 20 year old V1 design.

Thr bass player just informed me that 5 of the 6 are V1, and the 6th is a V2.

Honestly, I'd have gladly bought V1s again.

That said, the V3 weighs 37 lbs, while the V1 weighs 51 lbs.

I welcome that change!

Reactions: OGG
First impressions are good.

I don't know if they sound any better or any worse than the old SRM450V1s that we have used for years. They do sound wonderful, though, at least with just an acoustic/electric guitar and a vocal mic running through them. They should sound even better once I get the power supply for my reverb unit so I can put a bit of reverb on the mix.

They are a lot prettier than our old, road worn 450s, that's for sure. It's like getting a brand new guitar and dreading that first ding or bit of buckle rash. I know that the first time these things get taken to a gig, they are going to start getting beaten up.

For now, they are very sleek and black and shiny. After a couple trips in the back of the truck, they'll start looking more like our old speakers.

And I'm not going to pay $75 per speaker for the covers that Mackie makes for them.

Back