Mojo Request I just got off the phone with the police

When I went in for alcohol treatment I went for 45 days. All was good and I was ready to get out. Out of the blue,my urge to drink (that was gone for a long time) came on very very strong. I went into a full blown panic attack. I met with my counselor,who called my wife to come meet too. We came to the conclusion I needed to extend two weeks. Best decision ever. I needed that. If I hadn't had that support I might have went off the deep end immediately after treatment too. Sometimes treatment brings up issues-like the REAL reason a person uses. Mine is PTSD that I was running away from. Your friend is lucky she had you to turn to. You may have saved her life,of which no greater gift there is. Hang in there!!!

Much mojo for your friend. And you.
Can't say it any better than Mark. Just adding this: Appreciate the real limits to what you can do to help. You have done what you could. Try to separate sorrow for your friend for blaming yourself for her fate.

I know I can't control it. This is her problem. She just calls me when she has breakdowns and I provide an ear. That's all. Tonight I talked her out of suicide. I know that I can't take responsibility for her actions. I just let them go.

I'm partially pissed off because I have a show this weekend and I need to practice more. I just blew a night of practice time.

Sounds like you are getting right in your head. My post was pointless. Ya did good.

It sounds like your friend has dual diagnoses, that makes early recovery tougher. I hope your friend is building a strong support network for those times you might not be available. You did well, but don't forget to also take care of yourself.

In my younger years I was in love with mind altering substances. I use the word love because it was truly a love affair. What turned me around was the day I realized that if I continued loving that I was going to lose the love of my family, friends and all who cared about me. Without them I'm sure it would have consumed me. Bless you for being there for her.

Back