i have heard Ramblin Man at least 10 times this week.

Straight up.

Duane's guitar parts on Boz Scaggs "(Somebody) Loan Me a Dime" and Clapton's "Layla" are career-makers themselves, aside from his tremendous and brilliant Allmans body of work.

I hadn't heard that one, yet. Thanks for posting. I'm about to download that album. :thu:

image.jpeg
I hadn't heard that one, yet. Thanks for posting. I'm about to download that album. :thu:
Recorded at Muscle Shoals Sound w The Swampers

The time period around Brothers and Sisters produced Betts' finest playing. I love the guitars on Ramblin' Man. Even after hearing radio play the tune over and over, I pulled out BaS for a listen.

For some really fine, different, ABB, search out the 5-man band period. Duane had just died, Oakley was still alive. Inspired stuff. One of band's vault releases features that incarnation of the band.

If you can find the ABB on the 1970 (?) Isle of Wight concert it is well worth your time. Killer version of Whippin Post. In fact, just get the whole thing. ABB, Cactus, Johnny Winter And, Mountain, Chamber Bros, and Jimi playing Foxy Lady with some chord changes I cannot figure out to this day.

Get the Duane Allman Anthology Box Set instead. Includes it and many, many other great songs, including plenty from the Allmans.

Now this is how to present a rounded portrait of Duane Allman: his key solo and Allman Brothers cuts plus his session work as guitarist-for-hire. Layla; Statesboro Blues; Dreams; Little Martha; Goin' Down Slow , and Stand Back join Hey Jude Wilson Pickett; Games People Play King Curtis; Loan Me a Dime Boz Scaggs; The Weight Aretha Franklin; The Road of Love Clarence Carter, and more!

While his recording career only lasted a little more than six years ('66-'71), Duane Allman's playing was heard not only with the Allman Brothers Band, but on a variety of important records by other artists as well. Hence this posthumous 1972 double-album collection, which--besides five Allman Brothers tracks--includes many memorable solos by the distinctive slide guitarist from sessions at the fabled Fame and Muscle Shoals studios. Highlights include soul versions of "Hey Jude" (Wilson Pickett), "The Weight" (Aretha Franklin), and "Games People Play" (King Curtis), as well as the time-stopping "Somebody Loan Me a Dime" (Boz Scaggs) and Derek and the Dominoes' classic, "Layla." --Billy Altman

I can tell already - this week it's going to be Another Brick in the Wall. I'll be hearing that bend all week.

oh great, now it's Carry On My Wayward Son.

Loan Me A Dime was kind of famous - a local DJ on FKAI used it as a "oh dear, I need to hit the bathroom" song. When you play two dozen 3-4 minute alternative-rock adult contemporary pop singles then all of a sudden kick in a 10 minute killer blues jam well, yeah, a bit unusual but he was a great player.

My personal favorite was "in memory of elizabeth reed". I had a partial recording of that on a cassette for many years and never knew who it was until I stumbled into someone playing "fillmore east" at a party once. I resisted buying the record for years because someone told me it wasn't very good. Ack.

Ramblin Man - you know, they don't ever have to play it again but if it's letting some guy somewhere have a nice retirement then fine. I can play it in my head from memory I've heard it so much from overplaying it on "classic rock radio foisted on people in workplace environments".

not fer nuthin but (and I am digging all the Duane clips being posted), but Duane isn't on Ramblin Man. idn_smilie

Love Duane, but can't stand that endless, wailing outro to "Layla." I'd rather listen to "Ramblin' Man" again.

Okay, maybe that was a stretch...I don't need to hear either of them. :tongue:

In the liner notes to the 90s remaster of Miles Davis' "Kind of Blue", it says Duane Allman nearly wore his copy out. That's about as much influence as they had on me. I skipped them, stopped listening to classic rock radio, and went straight to jazz. Never looked back.
we know, we know

Back