i have heard Ramblin Man at least 10 times this week.

I was picking with a buddy earlier this week who has been working on figuring out all those twin leads. It was neat to play them together. I don't think I could handle hearing that song 10 times in one week.

I haven’t heard that song since I moved out of Virginia. Another reason to never move back.

I love the Allman Brothers, but that songs gets to be a bit much. Classic rock radio loves that shit.

i used to work at a place where one of the guys had the 'classic rock' station on every day.
same 30 songs and EXACTLY the same time during the day, EVERY day for SEVEN years.
:puke:

My manager is at the next desk and he play's classic schlock radio pretty often. Billy Joel is in heavy rotation on the station he listens to.

In the liner notes to the 90s remaster of Miles Davis' "Kind of Blue", it says Duane Allman nearly wore his copy out. That's about as much influence as they had on me. I skipped them, stopped listening to classic rock radio, and went straight to jazz. Never looked back.

In the liner notes to the 90s remaster of Miles Davis' "Kind of Blue", it says Duane Allman nearly wore his copy out. That's about as much influence as they had on me. I skipped them, stopped listening to classic rock radio, and went straight to jazz. Never looked back.

Mojo. Sorry to hear that breaux.

Duane Allman is one the best guitarist ever. Period. End of story.

Obviously, there is all the fun Allman Bros twining stuff with Dickey Betts but if you're heads to far up your own ass to understand how awesome that is (looking at you @Help!I'maRock! ) then perhaps this will help.

+ billions
Skydog was a force of nature. If one lets some classic rock program director (is there more than one?) ruin good music for them, chalk it up to user error.

I probably play this every time I pick up a guitar in open D

Incredible 3 year span between teaching himself slide on his birthday in 1968 till his death in 71. I can think of only one other guitarist who did so much in a similar time span.

Last edited:
don't get me wrong, i love the ABB as much as the next guy (well maybe not Rock).

i don't mind hearing them that often. it's certainly preferable to the Eagles rut or the Stairway to Heaven rut the station gets in to.

don't get me wrong, i love the ABB as much as the next guy (well maybe not Rock).

i don't mind hearing them that often. it's certainly preferable to the Eagles rut or the Stairway to Heaven rut the station gets in to.

I don't hate them, I was just never really influenced by them outside of te Miles connection. They fall into the same space as the Grateful Dead for me. Influential bands to my influences, who also directed me to earlier music.

Last edited:
i used to work at a place where one of the guys had the 'classic rock' station on every day.
same 30 songs and EXACTLY the same time during the day, EVERY day for SEVEN years.
:puke:

That’s what most rock, pop, and country radio stations had turned into by the late 1990s. I remember when I realized that they had replaced the DJ with a long recording because even the order of the songs never changed unless it was a top 40 station. And around 2004 classic rock expanded to 40 tracks when they added Guns N’ Roses and Nirvana.

+ billions
Skydog was a force of nature. If one lets some classic rock program director (is there more than one?) ruin good music for them, chalk it up to user error.

Incredible 3 year span between teaching himself slide on his birthday in 1968 till his death in 71. I can think of only one other guitarist who did so much in a similar time span.

Straight up.

Duane's guitar parts on Boz Scaggs "(Somebody) Loan Me a Dime" and Clapton's "Layla" are career-makers themselves, aside from his tremendous and brilliant Allmans body of work.

Back