I have a chance to buy an amp

Muppet

Cat in the Hat
...and last time I screwed around until it was too late.

A guy has a Crate V50 2x12 for sale on CL. He'll let me have it for $275. These were the backline amps at the first Clapton Crossroad show, and I liked how the sounded on the DVD. Now, I am listening to the DVD on good speakers, so I think I'm getting a fairly accurate assessment. In any case, I'd play it first. The amp is 4 12AX7s and 2 EL34s. I'm thinking I really HAVE to do this.

00A0A_e4ipKOWSIhH_600x450.jpg

I'm not a big fan of Crate amps, but that is a good price for a that amp for sure.
They've only ever made a few amps that sounded any good. The rest sound like running a cheese grater across the trunk of your car. These, the Blue Voodoo, and the PowerBlock are decent amps. But, hat being said, I'm going up there tomorrow to try it first.

I see one of these on Denver Craigslist for under $300 at least once a month. Crate prices have been crashing for years because now that metal must be played on huge tube amps metalheads won’t forgive Crate for all those years of making the high-gain solid state amps. It’s good for smart buyers—I’ve seen plywood Crate 4x12s loaded with V30s sell for $100–$150 because nobody wants Crate for teh br00tz anymore.

Top view (I found on the net) showing channels and effects. Very usable reverbs, choruses, and delays.
crate-vfx5212-301301.jpg

I'm going to use it live with a new band I'm putting together. I have a working cover band where I use my Carvin Legacy 3 half stack, but I'm also wanting to do an original band, so I'm going to use this there.

Back