I hate when this happens. ..

OGG

Master of the Meh
06f06cc04d0b18bfb5d59fb490b77b83.jpg

7742cd3fc58c1e4468d01b0bd53b1071.jpg

This is the string lock assembly housing for my '87 MIJ Strat with the notorious System 1 Locking Trem unit.

They are unique to that set up, very close to an old Floyd, but not close enough to direct swap.

They are made of crap die cast pot metal, and have a tendency to bow upwards at the ends over time due to the high string tension. If you are EXTREMELY careful, you can bend them back into shape.

This only works a finite number of times before the above happens.

Replacements either don't exist, or are ludicrously expensive.

Which is why I bought a whole freaking bag of them for dirt cheap several years ago. I win bitches!

:)

I still have a shit load of brand new extras.

Just take one to a machine shop and have them make a couple from stainless, and sell the spare ones on fleabay to cover the cost.

Just take one to a machine shop and have them make a couple from stainless, and sell the spare ones on fleabay to cover the cost.

That's a good idea. Have them make a few extra and sell those, too. Make a tidy profit and retire to Zimbabwe.

But that would be like putting a Warmoth neck on a Tokai Strat.

Or a Chevy 350 in a Datsun 240Z.

That's not a bad idea, I have about 15 chrome and probably 20 black OEM replacements at the moment, and even though I own a bunch of System 1 equipped guitars, the attrition rate for that part isn't quick enough for me to use all of my spares before I kick the bucket.

Only a couple of them get played, and the ones that don't, I unscrew from the neck so the string tension doesn't bow them while they sit for long periods.

But that would be like putting a Warmoth neck on a Tokai Strat.

Or a Chevy 350 in a Datsun 240Z.

That's not a bad idea, I have about 15 chrome and probably 20 black OEM replacements at the moment, and even though I own a bunch of System 1 equipped guitars, the attrition rate for that part isn't quick enough for me to use all of my spares before I kick the bucket.

Only a couple of them get played, and the ones that don't, I unscrew from the neck so the string tension doesn't bow them while they sit for long periods.
You're talking to someone who welded a Plymouth 383 /727 into a Datsun roadster.
:tongue:

You're talking to someone who welded a Plymouth 383 /727 into a Datsun roadster.
:tongue:
A buddy of mine has a 383 Stroker, built to bajeezes in a 1970 240Z, with NOS.

He's been banned from virtually every 1/4 strip in California.

The damned thing does wheelies.

He broke 3 GM Dana "Corporate" rear ends before putting the original Datsun rear end back in out of desperation. Hasn't broken that one yet... 8 years later.

What's the unbroken part look like?

A buddy of mine has a 383 Stroker, built to bajeezes in a 1970 240Z, with NOS.

He's been banned from virtually every 1/4 strip in California.

The damned thing does wheelies.

He broke 3 GM Dana "Corporate" rear ends before putting the original Datsun rear end back in out of desperation. Hasn't broken that one yet... 8 years later.
When I was a GM guy, those Dana "Corporate" rears were crap. Some guys were putting Ford 8" rears in Firebirds and Camaros because nothing else that fit wouldn't grenade.

Find a supplier who can machine them out of solid brass. Sell them on eBay for $99.

Back