I hate New York

My wife loves driving in NYC. I swear she starts sounding like an old cabbie when she does so, though. I just hold onto the OSH (Oh Shit Handle, just in case) and close my eyes. Our son cheers her on. "DRIVE CRAZY, MOMMY!!!"

In NJ, she drives normally.

So she's the one!

What you Chicagoans call pizza is quite delicious, but it's not a pizza. It's a casserole. A delicious casserole, but a casserole nonetheless.

Honestly never had Chi-town "pizza", but it's definitely not pizza. NY pizza more closely resembles the stuff served in Italy. Deep-dish stuff has little to do with Italian tradition.

They can't even make guacamole without fucking it up with peas! :facepalm: Sorry, but Yankees should just walk away from the Mexican food kitchen. Import it if you gotta have it.
http://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1015047-green-pea-guacamole
I'm sorry... I live in the NYC metro region (Jersey side) but WHO THE FUCK PUTS PEAS IN THEIR GUAC? No. Just no. Guac should be nothing more than avacado, onions, lime juice, and some kosher salt. Fuck that meathead in the face with his meathead peas.

Reactions: Tig
Spent three stints totalling a month-and-a-half working there.

That was more than enough.

Anyhoo, looking forward to my two-week stint coming up in Houston.

In July.

:cry:

I spent the first 18 years of my life on Long Island and I'll have to agree. It's not one of my favorite places.

I spent the first 18 years of my life on Long Island and I'll have to agree. It's not one of my favorite places.

LI is not that great a place, outside of the beaches. :thu:

I grew up in Northern Westchester County...my least favorite part of state. I have far greater appreciation for everything north, south, east, and west of where I grew up. I'm still confounded by people that love their hometown and never want to leave. I couldn't wait to get the fuck out, even if it was only a hour or so north (Po-town/Hyde Park...met my wife at Marist), an hour or so south (NYC)...or anywhere away from where I spent of my time in NY.

I've discovered (almost the hard way) you can't drive like a normal human being in NYC. If you do YOU WILL DIE.

Too true, you have to be willing to sacrifice your car to the gods of getting to where you want to be. The other drivers sense fear and concern for personal safety and use it against you. They also, however, sense the lack of said fear. That increases their respect and decreases the likelihood of them ruining your life.

In July.

Bring ice. Lotsa ice.

PM me if you are in downtown. Maybe we can do lunch. The tunnel system is full of restaurants out of the heat. I think tiger roach will be in Europe.

I'm sorry... I live in the NYC metro region (Jersey side) but WHO THE FUCK PUTS PEAS IN THEIR GUAC? No. Just no. Guac should be nothing more than avacado, onions, lime juice, and some kosher salt. Fuck that meathead in the face with his meathead peas.

If I were to go off the reservation, it would be Rev. Billy F. Gibbons style:

New York is a very diverse state, so you can't fairly judge it based on any one to even 10 parts of it. It's really got something for everyone To hate.

FIFY

FYI, my daughter will be attending NYU Steinhart in the fall for a masters in occupational therapy. She has found that they can't even look at apartments without using me as a cosignor, and I have to provide FUCKING TAX RETURNS AND FUCKING NOTARIZED STATEMENTS indicating I earn over FIFTY FUCKING TIMES the FUCKING RENT! And that's for an apartment to be shared with several other students. The fucking school does fuckall to fucking help, and as far as I can tell their only interest is to separate the last fucking dollar from every student's fucking wallet. For example: to stay in campus housing is $2300 a fucking month for a fucking shared studio with three other students. Oh, and for all this privilege, she only has to pay $25K a fucking semester in fucking tuition. The school is offering no fucking student aid except for a fucking insanely high-interest fucking loan, which means my daughter will be graduating with about $100-150K in fucking debt. Fortunately, it's a field where she should be able to get a fucking job that pays fucking decently...

Now, let me know why I can not judge NY....

Last edited:
FIFY

FYI, my daughter will be attending NYU Steinhart in the fall for a masters in occupational therapy. She has found that they can't even look at apartments without using me as a cosignor, and I have to provide FUCKING TAX RETURNS AND FUCKING NOTARIZED STATEMENTS indicating I earn over FIFTY FUCKING TIMES the FUCKING RENT! And that's for an apartment to be shared with several other students. The fucking school does fuckall to fucking help, and as far as I can tell their only interest is to separate the last fucking dollar from every student's fucking wallet. For example: to stay in campus housing is $2300 a fucking month for a fucking shared studio with three other students. Oh, and for all this privilege, she only has to pay $25K a fucking semester in fucking tuition. The school is offering no fucking student aid except for a fucking insanely high-interest fucking loan, which means my daughter will be graduating with about $100-150K in fucking debt. Fortunately, it's a field where she should be able to get a fucking job that pays fucking decently...

Private school and living in Greenwich Village costs ridiculous amounts of money. Water is wet. News at 11.

Private school and living in Greenwich Village costs ridiculous amounts of money. Water is wet. News at 11.

I'm not talking Greenwich Village (she's not even looking there) -- I'm talking EVERYTHING on Manahattan that is not Harlem. Fortunately, she has a friend from high school who lives in Brooklyn and she can stay with her for a few weeks while she looks for housing in other Boroughs...

I'm not talking Greenwich Village (she's not even looking there) -- I'm talking EVERYTHING on Manahattan that is not Harlem. Fortunately, she has a friend from high school who lives in Brooklyn and she can stay with her for a few weeks while she looks for housing in other Boroughs...

Anything below 135th St, including most of Harlem, is unobtainable to the middle class. Essentially, if someone can afford to live in Manhattan, I have no sympathetic ear for their financial woes. I just extended my lease here in Astoria for another 2 years. But we're looking for other neighborhoods (and possibly other cities) now. The current going rate for my apartment is $500 more than I pay now. In 2 years, it will be $800 - $1000 more. My landlord would be stupid to not kick us out at that time.

Welcome to NYC.

Spent three stints totalling a month-and-a-half working there.

That was more than enough.

In July.

Sorry, man. That's gonna suck. We're moving down there in Aug/Sep. That won't be a picnic, either.

FIFY

Wow. That sucks. Too bad there isn't anywhere else in the world to get a master's in OT.

Ah yes, the world-famous NY charm! :grin:
:) I've never lived in NY, but I went through a period where a lot of the people I met assumed I was from there. Probably just being a Jew with a non-regional US accent... I don't know.

:) I've never lived in NY, but I went through a period where a lot of the people I met assumed I was from there. Probably just being a Jew with a non-regional US accent... I don't know.

I know what you mean -- I'm Jewish, and people sometimes assume I come from New York. The only time I even visited was when I was eight!

Back