I had not been to a buffet in probably three years....

Denverdave

Resident Ragamuffin
....and I just remembered why.

#1 daughter and I eat out together every Monday and usually at a different place. We decided on Golden Corral Buffet tonight.
1. I ate too much. Mainly because I wanted my $12.99 worth.
2. The food was not bad....but not good either. Mediocre is not a good target to hit but they hit it solidly.
3. I had that bad bloated feeling I used to get when I ate at someplace like McDs.

So - I can wait another three years to eat at a buffet again. I realize some people love this place (it is packed every weekend....), but I am not among that number.

The name of that place always gives me the mental image of morbidly obese people lined up at a trough eating food that is either out of the fryer or a can. Never been to one myself....

I went to a Golden Corral once for someone's birthday dinner....it was kinda like my high school cafeteria turned into an all you can eat dinner buffet.

I hate buffets.There are enough people touching my food at a restaurant.
I don't want the unwashed masses to be among that group.

I lose money at buffets since I eat just 1 full plate and maybe a half plate of fruit and a dessert. I even lost weight on the cruise last month. Gluttony is something I just can't do I guess.

There's a Chinese seafood buffet down the street that is on the 3rd owner/management (warning!). This version is the first time the food was really good until last weekend.
I loved the spicy chicken before but this time it made my mouth want to explode. They must have spilled a few pounds of MSG in the batch because my mouth was dry and metallic tasting for the following 3 days. I fucking hate the effects of MSG already but this was like a chemical burn.
Fuck them in their Renee Zellweger puckering buffet fucking faces! :mad:

Last edited:
I've never done Golden Corral... in general we avoid buffets for all the reasons stated above. There is a brunch buffet on Sunday at a somewhat upscale restaurant here that we make an exception for once in a while. Also the Bacchanal Buffet at Caesar's Palace in Vegas - OMG. I plan on getting lots of exercise before and after when we do that one.

We have a pretty amazing Chinese Buffet down the road, but I don't go there very often because it's way too easy to overeat.

I love one of the Chinese buffets in town, and I see people heaping HUGE mountains of food on their plates every time I go. I do agree that it's hard to stick to a single plate at a buffet, though. It just seems like you don't get your money's worth. I guess the trick is to look at the mountainous looking plates that go by, and then to look at the mountainous looking people that are carrying them.

I don't care for buffets myself. First of all, as a vegetarian, I am paying a price that is set to cover the cost of all the meat. Then, the quality of the food suffers. It reminds me too much of the school cafeteria when I was a kid.

Golden Corral is a good name, because you are herded like cattle to get your food. I'd rather sit and be served.

I'm trying to watch my weight so buffets are very rare. I always feel the need to get my money's worth. Same when I order a Diet Coke-I have to have like 4 glasses

My girlfriend runs one of the dining commons on campus. I have learned much from someone that is extremely well versed in food regulation and safety. Thanks to her, I will never eat at another buffet again.

My girlfriend runs one of the dining commons on campus. I have learned much from someone that is extremely well versed in food regulation and safety. Thanks to her, I will never eat at another buffet again.

Words of wisdom I am sure. Actually the more you know about restaurant food the more you will eat all your meals at home.... :embarrassed:

Words of wisdom I am sure. Actually the more you know about restaurant food the more you will eat all your meals at home.... :embarrassed:

Yep plus half the time if I eat restaurant food I end up feeling like crap afterwards. My carcass can't handle that stuff anymore.

I used to do commercial kitchen appliance repair. I tell you there are some places where it was all I could do to not barf. Lots of times places would offer me some food and depending how the kitchen was would determine if I accepted. Chinese places were the worst by far.

Did you dunk the sweet potato fries in the chocolate fountain?

Buffets are terrible. Let me just order what I want to eat.

There are a couple of sushi buffets where I'm at. When ever we go, you have to put me in a wheelbarrow to get me out.

Back