I had no idea that Fender put out a Mike Landau Hot Rod Deville

Lol. I just hate the HRD so much.
I'm not a fan of any of those amps. That's one reason why I'm surprised that someone like Landau had a
Model. Unless he's just trying to make it easier to back line when he's traveling in Asia or something like that.

My big, hasn't been used in nearly two decades, amp is a Blues DeVille 212. Great clean, too loud for anything other than playing a gig. Takes pedals wonderfully. Never got to do much with its dirty channel as the volume needed to really drive was more than I needed, especially after I stopped jamming/gigging (which I barely ever did). I was interested in the HRDs until I heard the lead/dirt channel was crap.

Anyway, Landau is another of those players that would sound good playing the shittiest guitar through a the shittiest amp. Why not use something easily available? As long as the base tone is usable. he's clearly doing the shaping with his pedals.

He was an important one in the 80's and 90's though. He played on a ton of big records and was pretty influential even though most folks don't readily know his name. Not one of a million, but probably one of the top 5 for the last 30 years.

He was an important one in the 80's and 90's though. He played on a ton of big records and was pretty influential even though most folks don't readily know his name. Not one of a million, but probably one of the top 5 for the last 30 years.
so he was kinda like Larry Carlton, but less known.

so he was kinda like Larry Carlton, but less known.
Pretty much. Carlton had an active public career both solo and he was closely associated with Steely Dan among other things, much like everyone knows about Steve Lukather via Toto. Landau, Michael Thompson, Tim Pierce, Carl Verheyen (he has a little notoriety through Supertramp), George Doering, John Goux, our own @tstrahle and a small handful of others make up a core of musicians that you've heard your entire life (sometimes playing on rock albums that you think your favorite rockstar played on) on music recorded in Los Angeles. There are handfuls of musicians like that in Nashville and New York as well but because there is so much TV and movie music recorded here these guys have had longer and bigger careers although in the last 20 years with the advent of digital recording and professional home studios work has gotten a little thinner for most of them.

I'm not a fan of any of those amps. That's one reason why I'm surprised that someone like Landau had a
Model. Unless he's just trying to make it easier to back line when he's traveling in Asia or something like that.

The Clean channel is pretty much a BF/SF style topography with beefier tone stack values for more mids. It's the Drive and More Drive that suck.

The Clean channel is pretty much a BF/SF style topography with beefier tone stack values for more mids. It's the Drive and More Drive that suck.
His version got rid of the Drive and More Drive channels and added a second volume control which is footswitchable.

I haven't played through one since the early 2000's when I was still working for a dealer. They always seemed so loud and so still feeling on the clean channel.

I haven't played through one since the early 2000's when I was still working for a dealer. They always seemed so loud and so still feeling on the clean channel.

I let my early 2000s Hot Rod Deluxe go because it wasn't loud enough to hang with our heavy handed drummer.

Well it was loud enough, but didn't stay clean at the volume I needed to overpower him :grin:

Back