I had forgotten how much fun the Bass VI is

smurfco

Meatus McPrepuce
ad0c091efaeb77c806156baac517af97.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So I got this a while back (April, I think?) off of Craigslist, and stuck it under the bed and kind of forgot about it because the strings on it were super old. It was fun and funky to play but it needed new strings and a setup. I ordered some LaBella flatwounds especially made for Bass VI (to replace the ancient Fender roundwounds - seriously, this guitar was made in the mid-nineties and I think they were the original strings) but the LaBellas were out of stock everywhere. I kind of forgot about it until last week when the strings finally showed up, so I pulled it out of the bed and put the new strings on, but I couldn't get it set up.

It has a Mustang bridge and when I looked closely, I realized that someone had rearranged the saddles. Mustang saddles have no individual height adjustment, and the saddles are three different sizes so to match the curvature of the board you set them small, medium, big, big, medium, small. But someone didn't realize that and had them set big, big, medium, medium, small, small (to match the strings I guess?). Anyways I rearranged the saddles into the correct order (looks like I don't need that Mustang bridge I ordered after all @RyanNo3 - want it for your Jazzmaster?), adjusted the neck and overall bridge height, and now it plays perfectly and sounds awesome. It's tuned exactly like a guitar except an octave lower, so E-A-D-G-B-E or the same as a bass with two more strings on top. This is a super fun one to play!

Nice. Now you got me thinking about how I haven't touched mine in a couple of months. Maybe I'll take it down off the wall tomorrow and play it. I wonder how it will sound through the B9?

I'm interested in the bridge if Ryan doesn't want it. I've got a VM JM begging for a new bridge.

The VI is lovely; I'd love to have one.

Back