I got a chance to play a couple of Guild 12-strings today.

My first two guitars were a 60s era Gibson and a National steel O-style of about the same age. Starting out on such exceptional instruments made me hard to impress. That said, the only acoustic I've ever felt gearlust for was an old Guild. It was out of my price range, and I needed an acoustic w/ electronics, otherwise I would have put it on layaway. It was beautiful.

As for 12ers, I have a Yammy that I've had strung in Nashville tuning for years. About twice a decade, I put the rest of the strings on it to remind myself that I don't like 12 strings.

My buddy picked up a 70's guild 6 string acoustic when his uncle died.....WOW! What a great playing and sounding guitar!
Post if you learn what model. I understand that prior to the D-25 I have, with an arched unbraced laminated mahogany back, they made an all mahogany version with a more conventional braced back. Oh yeah, another variation my version has is a spruce top.

If I recall correctly his is spruce and mahogany as well, I want to say it is a 1972, I will try to get the model number from him. It is one of those guitars you look at and go, meh, until you pick it up and then it is like an old friend and fits like a glove and WOW! The first time I saw it, it was dirty and it needed some work, so I do the repairs and cleaned it fixed the frets and holy crap......I learned a lot about old Guild flat tops that week!

If I recall correctly his is spruce and mahogany as well, I want to say it is a 1972, I will try to get the model number from him. It is one of those guitars you look at and go, meh, until you pick it up and then it is like an old friend and fits like a glove and WOW! The first time I saw it, it was dirty and it needed some work, so I do the repairs and cleaned it fixed the frets and holy crap......I learned a lot about old Guild flat tops that week!

I feel lucky I chose that one.

I love Guild 12s. Last time I was at Gruhn's they had a beautiful Guild 12 for $1500. The loudest 12 I ever played. That thing came so close to going home with me. But it was the start of vacation and who knows what kind of trouble you might have and need that money for, so George got to hang on to it for another day. But I still want a Guild. For now though I'll have to be happy with the Framus.

The one is the model I have been craving, the Guild D-125-12 12 String; the other one was a $2000 model. I really could not tell much difference between the two. The fact is, the D-125 didn't seem all that much better then the LAG of the A & L. That doesn't stop me from wanting the D-125 though. :rolleyes:

The shop that carried these has them for the same price as the on-line dealers. If I do it, I will probably buy local. :thu: I need another job first, though.

I am not vastly experienced with 12 strings (you could describe me as half-vast), but as well as the A & L, I would recommend the Seagull 12 string. I am sorry I can't recall the model, but I did try a number of the ones that passed through the local music store (the 12 strings in general are always snapped up fast) and they were the easiest playing 12's I ever tried.

Funny how things change. Since I posted this I realized I needed to stop playing around and to get a twelve-string that really spoke to me. I put aside my misgivings about acoustic-electric guitars and cutaways and got the Luna Muse twelve-string. Now my constant craving for "the perfect twelve-string" is gone.:thu:

Back