I got a chance to play a couple of Guild 12-strings today.

Gary Blanchard

beloved, local musician
The one is the model I have been craving, the Guild D-125-12 12 String; the other one was a $2000 model. I really could not tell much difference between the two. The fact is, the D-125 didn't seem all that much better then the LAG of the A & L. That doesn't stop me from wanting the D-125 though. :rolleyes:

The shop that carried these has them for the same price as the on-line dealers. If I do it, I will probably buy local. :thu: I need another job first, though.

I offered a job :wink:

I'm glad you like the A&L though, since I was the one that kinda pushed them on ya.
I think.

I know I love mine.

if I were to get a Guild, it'd be some crazy-ass-lookin' electric.
but I don't get a lot of calls for folks gigs these days.

I did get to do one on the radio once, I should find that tape.

btw, 2k for a guitar is ridiculous.
well, maybe not that harsh, but pretty steep.
I paid about 1200 for my SG w/case, and that was painful (but worth every cent)

btw, 2k for a guitar is ridiculous.

with acoustics, it's really just starting to get into the good stuff at that point. but you can buy an amazing electric for $1000. there's a huge difference.

Gary, i do love a Guild acoustic. but i just can't get behind their 12 strings. dunno why.

There's a really nice used Taylor 355 -- no cutaway, no onboard electronics -- being sold at the local Guitar Center with a Sunrise installed for $999. You could easily sell the pickup alone for $200. But every time I think I want it I remember that I lose interest in a 12 string very, very quickly. I'd probably pick it up once a month and the rest of the time it would sit in its case.

Howie, I recognize that you know a lot more aout guitars than I do, no doubt.
but 2K for ANY guitar is pretty nutty, IMO

my A&L 12 str elec acoustic was about $500.
worth it, I guess.
sounds great, plays pretty nice.
but $2K for an acoustic?
maybe if it's made outta elf bones or something...

then again, I'm not the kind of player who'd need (or even notice) the difference between $500 and $2000

though I do see it in my SG

that's been the only time ever in over about 50 guitars. at a guess.
that's not counting ones I've played but not owned, of course.

but I'm also fussy, and want what I want (like no one else does :lol:)

I kinda forgot where I was going, as I am trying to upload a video.

vodka is good

I first played 12-string about 1967-69; I have no idea what happened to that guitar. But hey, it was the 60's. My brother played 12-string for years, but it didn't excite me. Fast forward to about 4 years ago, and I bought a $60 12-string from Craigslist and I fell in love all over again. Now I very rarely play a 6-string.

When I started playing, the big "folk" brands were Martin, Gibson, and Guild; I lusted after them. Now I am over Gibsons and Martins, but the Guild lust has never left. It has, if anything, gotten stronger since I saw the D-125, which is within a range of possibility for me. Somehow it will be mine.

I lusted after the Guild and Martin 12-strings but bought a Takamine (used for $400) about three or four years ago and haven't looked back since.

Late to the party, as always. Soon will poast a picture of my Guild D-25 I've had since 1976. If I had played 15 minutes a day since then, I'd be a monster. And play a bit better then I do now.

I would love to have a Guild 12. The local music store carries Godin guitars and I played a Seagull 12 that was great. Really should look for and try a Guild D-125 though.

Have a 5 Guilds, including 2 F-212XLs and they're mighty sweet, as is my Taylor 355...keep the Taylor tuned standard, one Guild in Open G and the other in Open D/DADGAD (retuning is a PITA!)...

Gary, save up your $$$ and get yourself a Guild or several...you'll NEVER regret it! :thu:

Gary, I understand about jonesing for a 12-string. I was hanging out in a music store, and I decided to audition a few 12-strings. One of them was the Takamine EG523Sc12. I absolutely fell in love with the sound, but I just didn't have the spare cash at the time. Fast forward to about 8 month later, and I found one on Craigslist that was less than a year old in excellent condition. I was able to get it for $350. When I play in church, I go back and forth between an Ibanez 6-string and the Takamine. Whenever I play the 12, I get compliments on it.

Twelve-string is my primary instrument. I alternate between the 6 and 12'er at gigs, but the 12-string is the one i play most.

At most of my acoustic solo and trio gigs, it's about 50/50 between 6- and 12-string.

If I ever find an electric 12-string I like, I'll likely use one a lot w/ my electric trio, as well.

When I play out, I'm usually playing with at least one other guitarist, and I find that the chime of the 12-string really sits nicely in the mix. For acoustic sets, I think I've been about 50/50 when I'm playing solo and 90/10 in favor of the 12-string in a group setting.

I don't own a 12. I should have bought one when I bought my '86 Collector as they were a matching pair - Oh well. Maybe one day I will own one.

Luna has the Athena 12-string.
t188_fb848d60f76adbd7d02f4f88ace8b381.jpg

Back