I found my new smoker.

Mark Wein

Grand Poobah
Staff member
13007100_10153385153227234_1522880252185606762_n.jpg

I'll file away this idea for later.

Gary "Pundit" Blanchard in 3, 2, 1... :grin:

Last edited:
We have some fireproof file cabinets at work. They weigh a ton. They'd be perfect for this.

That's actually pretty cool.

Not sure how durable it would be, but pretty neat nonetheless.
You know if they used the same heavy grate in the wood drawer and elevated it so you could pull the ash out from the bottom it may go for a good long time. May have to build a fence around it cause it's one ugly motherfucker.

You know if they used the same heavy grate in the wood drawer and elevated it so you could pull the ash out from the bottom it may go for a good long time. May have to build a fence around it cause it's one ugly motherfucker.

I guess it would depend on how "heavy duty" the actual file cabinet is. I could see some of the cheapie ones buckling or warping under that kind of heat.

And you probably have to fire it up a few times to burn all the grease off the drawer slides and stuff, but a very cool idea.

I bet that thing gets dangerously hot.
Not that you should allow kids around your grill anyway, but that thing looks like it would fuck you up if you accidentally put your hand on it.

I kind of want one.
:lol:

Last edited:
I guess it would depend on how "heavy duty" the actual file cabinet is. I could see some of the cheapie ones buckling or warping under that kind of heat.

And you probably have to fire it up a few times to burn all the grease off the drawer slides and stuff, but a very cool idea.

I bet that thing gets dangerously hot.
Not that you should allow kids around your grill anyway, but that thing looks like it would fuck you up if you accidentally put your hand on it.

I kind of want one.
:lol:
It's a smoker, not the Fukashima reactor.
And yeah, I would do a couple dry runs to burn the paint and grease off.
Maybe not the grease. But def the paint.

There's a BBQ place I go to occasionally in Maryland that uses converted refrigerators as smokers. Fridges make sense to me. Filing cabinet? not so much.

Back