I don't remember ever seeing anything like this.

dmn23

Duller than cardboard
Granted, I spent most of the late 80s and early 90s pursuing an independent study program in recreational pharmacology, so maybe I just missed this entirely. But I don't remember this Yamaha and I certainly don't remember partially scalloped fretboards.

20155824_1084765758321534_1368679094427510015_n.jpg

That's one of their RGX-series guitars, going after the Ibanez RG market...floyded superstrats. I'd guess the scalloping was either aftermarket, Japanese (overseas/non-U.S.) market model, or this was a custom order.

Is that for holding your joints while your neighbors decide, why is a vegetable something to hide?

Granted, I spent most of the late 80s and early 90s pursuing an independent study program in recreational pharmacology, so maybe I just missed this entirely. But I don't remember this Yamaha and I certainly don't remember partially scalloped fretboards.

View attachment 35142

Guess you're on the Yamaha group on FB, too, eh? :wink:

It may not have been sent to the US in large numbers. Also, I'm wondering if the scallops were taken from the Billy Sheehan Attitude bass or vice versa.

Guess you're on the Yamaha group on FB, too, eh? :wink:

It may not have been sent to the US in large numbers. Also, I'm wondering if the scallops were taken from the Billy Sheehan Attitude bass or vice versa.
Sheehan had cut those scallops on his fender himself before getting with Yamaha, so I'd have to say the former was the case...

Sounds like we were in a similar program of study.

I remember partially scalloped boards, but not that guitar.

The 821 was the top of the RGX line, but only made for a couple of years.

If I ran into one in a color I liked, I'd probably buy it on the spot.

I've never seen that before. I remember the Billy Sheehan bass with similar scallops, but I assumed that was some weird bass thing. I had no idea they did it to a guitar.

FWIW, I have a Jem7RB, and I can't feel the upper scalloped frets as any different from my other non-scalloped fret guitars. For a hack like me the upper fret scallop is a gimmick. For a Steve Vai it might matter, but for me it doesn't.

Back