I don't get Wes Anderson

I loved Rushmore. I loved The Royal Tenenbaums. I liked The Life Aquatic. But something broke for me regarding Wes Anderson as I was watching his fourth or fifth film (that I'd seen, anyways). I was just kind of like "that's enough, Wes Anderson".

shrug smiley

Rushmore and Tenenbaums both work for me, but I'm kind of hit or miss on the rest of his stuff.

Big fan, but as I stated in the Dr. Who thread, you don't have to like everything. Others disagree with this perspective, but I feel the value in any work is in up to the person absorbing that work. To clarify by way of example, if you've read (or even started to) and don't like Dickens it's okay. You don't have to like or even appreciate Dickens. It neither reflects upon you nor has any effect on his work. The work exists to be enjoyed or rejected by everyone, anyone, or no one. Wes is great at what he does, but it's not for everyone. Find other stuff to enjoy, just keep trying to expand your horizons...and your verticals.

That said, if you like reality TV, you're doing life wrong. :thu:

I think this is what turns me off and actually makes me feel uncomfortable.

My wife can't stand these types of situations in most works, but she enjoys a fair share of Wes's work. But she can't watch the Office and other similar stuff that revolves about discomfort and lack of ease. In trying to avoid these types of things in real life she chooses not to partake of them in her entertainment.

My wife can't stand these types of situations in most works, but she enjoys a fair share of Wes's work. But she can't watch the Office and other similar stuff that revolves about discomfort and lack of ease. In trying to avoid these types of things in real life she chooses not to partake of them in her entertainment.

I got so I couldn't watch Seinfeld because of the George character and all his discomfort scenarios.

I like some of his movies more than others, but I always appreciate that he has a distinct style and vision for storytelling. Fantastic Mr. Fox and Moonrise Kingdom are two of my favorites (I didn't really enjoy Life Aquatic. Don't remember much about Tennenbaums. I recall liking it at the time, but it's not a movie that I feel the need to watch repeatedly.).

As others have said, he has a very distinct style of movie making, and not everyone is going to enjoy it.

[QUOTE="Dogsinotpalc, post: 1045338, member: 1926]

if you like reality TV, you're doing life wrong. :thu:[/QUOTE]

+10K

I fucking despise The Royal Tenebaums. Didn't like Steve Zizou either. I'm not sure I've seen much else. For the record: I like most movies that are considered classics, so I'm not some 21st century action / CGI / pointless movie lover. I enjoy plot and dialog oriented as much as anyone.

If liking Wes Anderson movies, The Wire, coffee, tea, sushi, public radio, bicycling, camping, marijuana, classical music, Netflix, graduate degrees, multilingualism, dogs, theatre, T-shirts, sweaters, Wayfarers, traveling, scarves, the New York Times, socialized medicine, etc., makes me a racial conformist according to a 6-year-old blog, then I can live with that.

Is that what white people like, or disturbed people hate?

There are other personality traits, occasionally displayed here, which are much more troubling than the lack of knowledge toward one particular subject. I like the fact that we have a forum in which people feel comfortable asking questions so as to expand their horizons or perceptions. It's an even better thing that most of the responses are genuinely helpful and/or well-meaning.

Last edited:
The comfort at which people admit ignorance around here is astounding.
We all have different interests. I know very little about movies, because movies don't interest me much. I do know a lot about the radical labor movement in the early 20th century becuase that does interest me. As the saying goes, different strokes for different folks.

I love his movies. bottle rocket is hilarious.

+1

I forgot to mention Bottle Rocket in my post. I saw it many years ago (soon after it came out) based on a review. I had no idea what to expect, but I really enjoyed it. Definitely worth watching, IMO.

Back