I don't get Wes Anderson

BlockInlay

Octavate.band
What am I missing? I feel like a lot of smart people I know and talented actors and movie biz people that I respect adore his films. Personally, his movies make my skin crawl and I can't take more than a few minutes.

Am I missing out? Can someone tell me it will be OK?

He's original and unique but very film-literate; his visual style draws a lot from 20th-century European and Asian film, and we don't see a whole lot of that.

His movies are incredibly detailed and are simply terrific to look at; the costumes and sets are always impressive. They're beautifully shot. The musical choices are dead-on.

His casts are uniformly wonderful.

The movies are really funny.

And, for me, my favorite thing is the way that he creates worlds that are incredibly artificial, effete, and mannered. That's by design - in the third act, he creates really genuine and moving moments that turn out to be well-earned. It's sleight-of-hand.

I think that some of the things that I just listed as great qualities are the same things that turn people off.

I think a lot of people hate his movies because so many 20-something hipsters are enamored of them. But they're smart, funny, and visually appealing movies that really get to the nitty gritty about human relationships and family.

Also, major points for consistency. If every director could say that their worst movie was as good as The Life Aquatic, then you're doing ok.

I disagree that Tenenbaums is his best, though. A couple of years ago, you could've made that argument, but not after Moonrise Kingdom and The Grand Budapest Hotel. He's grown.

Also, major points for consistency. If every director could say that their worst movie was as good as The Life Aquatic, then you're doing ok.

I disagree that Tenenbaums is his best, though. A couple of years ago, you could've made that argument, but not after Moonrise Kingdom and The Grand Budapest Hotel. He's grown.

And I absolutely love Life Aquatic.

I also think he's responsible for Bill Murray's incredible popularity right now. Which I'm fine with because I think Murray is amazing.

It's not an argument. It's my opinion.

I have no idea who that is.....

I did though,get a phone call tonight from my daughter who's in her fourth year at Acadia University and is going to come home and take me and her younger sister to see Dumb And Dumber To..

Who is this dude that you guys are talking about?

What has he done??
I watched the clip........

I can't say that Tennenbaums is the BEST, but it's definitely my favourite. Plus the Shaving/Elliot Smith scene...

His movies are a little too precious for my tastes. I respect that he has a strong thumb print. You know it's him. You can't say that for a lot of film makers.

The first time I saw Life Aquatic I was kinda baffled, but since then I've really warmed up to his stuff. Also I found out he's a local boy so he gets points for that.

He's original and unique but very film-literate; his visual style draws a lot from 20th-century European and Asian film, and we don't see a whole lot of that.

His movies are incredibly detailed and are simply terrific to look at; the costumes and sets are always impressive. They're beautifully shot. The musical choices are dead-on.

His casts are uniformly wonderful.

The movies are really funny.

And, for me, my favorite thing is the way that he creates worlds that are incredibly artificial, effete, and mannered. That's by design - in the third act, he creates really genuine and moving moments that turn out to be well-earned. It's sleight-of-hand.

I think that some of the things that I just listed as great qualities are the same things that turn people off.

I think this is what turns me off and actually makes me feel uncomfortable. Some of his films have a child's home movie feel to them that I don't care for. Plus the enormous amounts of angle changes/cuts in a scene (not sure I'm using the correct terminology there) are distracting to me.

I love most of the actors that appear in his films (though I'd rather punch Owen Wilson in the face than watch him).

I'll have to give him another shot and see what my problem is.

Back