I don't do this very often, but I just "fired" a student.

Kerouac

weird musical dildo
I was finishing up with one of my students and the next one was standing outside the door. While the first student walked away, the second one made a very derogatory comment about the previous student's ethnicity. His father stood right beside him and laughed. I called them into my room and told them both that not only is that attitude offensive, but to say it within earshot of the person's family (not to mention the other people in the waiting room!) is incredibly inappropriate. The student's father laughed and said that if "they" were going to live in a community like ours they'll have to get used to it.

I told the kid not to bother unpacking, because I'm no longer teaching him. Dad blustered and started to argue, but I was firm. I sent the owner an email describing the situation and referred the family to my policy about discontinuing lessons. I refunded his March tuition and that was that. I'm not tolerating that sort of shit in my studio.

Top notch response. I like to imagine if more people took your approach, these attitudes might disappear one day.

Back