Dig it! I could get used to this.

OGG

Master of the Meh
Started the new job yesterday, worked three hours, went to lunch, went home, got paid for the day.

Today, boss is out of the office, since only he can log me in etc, I am off today but getting paid for it.

Yeah, this does not suck.

Many years ago I ran into an old co-worker who was running a company that provided AV tech labor for a corporate campus. He was always desperate for help, and told me he could put me to work whenever I wanted. It just so happened that I was slow at the time, so I accepted. The following Monday he sent me to the corporate headquarters of a multinational Pharma company.

The building he sent me to was their sales training facility. In a week, there were only about two total hours of actual work- one hour getting the instructors all set up on Monday morning, and an hour on Friday afternoon packing everything away for the weekend. Still, they wanted a tech there all week in case anything went wrong. It was the easiest gig ever.

The guy who ran the building was famous for being a dick who hated AV techs, though. Knowing this in advance, I engaged the following strategy:

1. Showed up early, freshly showered, shaved, and wearing a tie.
2. Asked him what he wanted me to do.
3. Did it.

By the end of the first day, the guy loved me and had requested me as his permanent tech. As I said, there were only two total hours of work to do each week. The guy didn't give a shit what I did all day as long as I kept my radio on and answered if anyone needed anything. They hardly ever did. I read a lot of books (this was before laptops). I would go out all night drinking and show up on two hours of sleep (still showered and shaved) and sleep in a storage room all day.

During the first week I befriended a couple of the instructors, and they started giving me lunch vouchers for the cafeteria. The cafeteria was subsidized, which meant everything was cheap. You could eat like a king for $5, and the vouchers were $10. I quickly amassed a large stockpile of drinks and snacks. Also, there was a giant snack buffet put out at 3pm each day, and I was free to help myself.

We had to clock in and out each day, and I quickly discovered that no one ever verified my hours. So, at 5pm I'd sit in my storage room reading a book and eating snacks until 6:30 when traffic died down, then clock out and go home. I racked up an extra 7.5 hours each week that way, and no one ever said a word.

Eventually I had to go back to my "real" work, which was OK since I knew a gig like that couldn't last forever.

Day 3, worked less than 3 hours on day 1, got paid for a full day. Day 2 I had off because new boss was out of office. Got paid for a full day.

Been here over 2 hours, new boss is tied up off site. Can't log in, can't do anything work related. Getting paid.

Yup.

OGG, you sound like a government worker.
Exactly. I am a Gov worker. Get 6 weeks vacation, 5 days family related, 15 sick days, 1 volunteer and one personal day per year. Besides that I get more paid time off than you can shake a stick at. For example, this week alone I left work yesterday at 1 pm and today at 12 pm, paid..Even when I'm at work for 8 hours I'm lucky if I get 2 hours of actual work and spend most of the day surfing the net, socializing, etc.
Believe it or not the main part of my job is advising and giving direction...lol...
So OGG...Enjoy....

Edit...FTR, it wasn't always that way, I've been there 27 years...

Last edited:
Noon:

Boss calls, "Hey Rod, get out of there and go start your weekend with a drink on me. You're salaried up for the whole week. We'll see you on Monday."

And just like that, he vanished from the building without so much as a puff of smoke. Off to have that drink the boss ordered him to have, and perhaps a few more.

Exactly. I am a Gov worker. Get 6 weeks vacation, 5 days family related, 15 sick days, 1 volunteer and one personal day per year. Besides that I get more paid time off than you can shake a stick at. For example, this week alone I left work yesterday at 1 pm and today at 12 pm, paid..Even when I'm at work for 8 hours I'm lucky if I get 2 hours of actual work and spend most of the day surfing the net, socializing, etc.

So OGG...Enjoy....
I want your "job" :mad:

I get two weeks per year vacation, sick days but unless i'm in the hospital i'm expected to show up.....I haven't taken an actual day off other than when I was in the hospital in probably 6 years or longer. I also get July 4th, memorial and labor day and then the 4 day thanksgiving weekend. everyday the boss leaves at about 4:embarrassed:0 pm and tells us to shut down at 4:30 and press the answering machin button before we leave...I thought i was doing good until this thread :embarrassed:

Oh i do have full access to the shop anytime though for working on my car so that's a help but I'd trade that for 4 more weeks of vacation :embarrassed:

I want your "job" :mad:

I get two weeks per year vacation, sick days but unless i'm in the hospital i'm expected to show up.....I haven't taken an actual day off other than when I was in the hospital in probably 6 years or longer. I also get July 4th, memorial and labor day and then the 4 day thanksgiving weekend. everyday the boss leaves at about 4:embarrassed:0 pm and tells us to shut down at 4:30 and press the answering machin button before we leave...I thought i was doing good until this thread :embarrassed:

Oh i do have full access to the shop anytime though for working on my car so that's a help but I'd trade that for 4 more weeks of vacation :embarrassed:
You're still doing good dude. Consider there are people that have real shit jobs and others that can't find one...

Back