I. CAN. NOT. WAIT.

I hope we can work it in this weekend!

To celebrate I had potatoes for lunch. (They were fried, but still).

I read it. Quickly too. I really hope they don't Josh it up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just read the comments on Weir's facebook page from people who have seen the movie.

Not encouraging.

It sounds like Scott pretty much gutted all of the details that made the book what it is and turned it into an updated version of Robinson Crusoe on Mars.

Lucky you. I'm stuck with this.
tumblr_mq2uqefnYv1rhtflto1_500.gif
g640g60681g6.gif

Some perspective- mountain & dust devil size, earth vs mars

images
However, on Mars, it would feel like a 10 mph wind. The author readily admits this, but needed something to get things in motion. The rest was fact checked by NASA and given a thumbs up.

Hoping to go see it tonight. I will hold off on reading reviews until that time, as I intend to see it anyway. I have not yet read the book, so I will watch it for what it is, and probably get the greater detail reading the book later.

Just took the boys. We all liked it! The teenage boys spontaneously complemented it on the way out. A clear sign they enjoyed it. Having not read the book, I had nothing to compare it to, so did not sense a lack of details. I will get the book and read it so as to see what else there was, but enjoyed the movie as it was. BTW, what did he say in the first typed conversation that they had, after his initial F-bombs, and his being warned to watch his language? They did not specify in the movie. I presume they spelled that out in the book.

Saw it, liked it. Having read the book, there is a sense of rushing over a lot of stuff, but no way around that unless you make the movie 10 hours long.

All in all it was well done. :thu:

Also, brilliant soundtrack use of Bowie's "Starman" as a counterpoint to the disco.
I would have used more counterpoints. I was getting tired of the disco. And the Abba track put me over the edge a bit. I felt like that gag (the only music he had was disco music) was overplayed at that point.

OK, i didn't hate it. I'm quite pleasantly surprised that it wasn't "Hollywoodized". Watney doesn't get a love interest, or even a pet monkey. The movie stays close to the book, and there is very little added drama.

The Iron Man ending was just short of ridiculous, but I'll let it slide. All in all, I liked it quite a bit, and even my daughters (who don't like science fiction) enjoyed it. My wife (quite fairly) remarked that it was basically "The Titanic" - two hours waiting for what you know is going to happen anyway.

I really enjoyed it. Yes, there was a couple Hollywood-ized elements scattered throughout the film, but less (by my count) than Gravity or Interstellar. It felt very real.

Will definitely buy as well on BluRay.

Reactions: Tig
I enjoyed it. It's nice to see some real science fiction making a comeback to the big screen. I was getting tired of the shoot 'em up Sci fi Hollywood has been serving for the last several years.

Reactions: Tig
BTW, what did he say in the first typed conversation that they had, after his initial F-bombs, and his being warned to watch his language? They did not specify in the movie. I presume they spelled that out in the book.

According to Mrs. P, he typed "look, boobies" or something along those lines.

Back