I blew up an amp tonight!

Jbird

Kick Henry Jackassowski
I went to the Dream Theater show in Royal Oak, MI tonight. I figured I'd stop by a local big music store that was close by, Huber Breese Music.

They had an old used Carvin X100B amp head, so I had them attach it to a 4x12 Marshall cab and fired it up. Played fine for about 5 minutes, but I did notice maybe a slight pop or crackle that also sounded a bit springy...like maybe the reverb tube was acting up or something. Switched it over to the clean channel, was getting some nice chimey cleans, then all of a sudden the clean channel distorted for a couple of seconds, then the amp fried. Nasty smell coming out the back of it. It's DOA :(

Their website said the amp had been checked out by an amp tech and was in excellent condition. I don't think so...

lol. Did they try and blame you for it? SOunds like it was on its last legs already.
No, one of the guys that works there set it all up for me and was there when it fried. He said they would take it to their tech and get it re-fixed.

I wonder what would make it give off that smell like it did?

Tubes go bad and burn out. Kind of like a light bulb, only slowly and more spectacularly. Sometimes they cause an open circuit that pulls a lot of amperage through a component which gets smoked as well (hence the burning smell). You just happened to be playing the amp when it happened.

No, one of the guys that works there set it all up for me and was there when it fried. He said they would take it to their tech and get it re-fixed.

Did you let the magic smoke out? Transformer melt down. That always smells like the fires of Sauron.

I had the same thing happen with a 50s magnatone amp at Guitar Showcase. Got about a minute of weird tone out of it before it went pffffffffft and started throwing sparks and smoke.

On the plus side, the smoke signifies a new pope was chosen...:embarrassed:
satanic-pope-animated-pic.gif

Was my ex-wife in the vicinity?

Back