I am thinking of packing it in.

I went out to a few local shops today and tried out a few acoustics.
It seems I like cedar tops more than spruce.
They seem mellow out of the box.
I have heard a spruce top mellows with age,but I am 53. I do not have that much time.

:grin:
Any advice on wood choice would help.
I am leaning towards the cedar top at this point.

Reactions: Tig
I went out to a few local shops today and tried out a few acoustics.
It seems I like cedar tops more than spruce.
They seem mellow out of the box.
I have heard a spruce top mellows with age,but I am 53. I do not have that much time.

My advice is to not get hung up on it, go with your ear and get the one that speaks to you...but also remember that as they age the sound is going to change, usually towards the mellow side...

Been there. Sold some stuff thinking id pack it in. Did a few acoustic open mics for a few years and recently got back into playing live with a full band. I love it. Who knows what your tomorrow brings.

Reactions: DFB
GACE_555_031.jpg
IMG_7492.jpg
My advice is to not get hung up on it, go with your ear and get the one that speaks to you...but also remember that as they age the sound is going to change, usually towards the mellow side...
That's what I am doing. I am listening for that one.
There is a company from Slovakia that make a brand called Dowina.
I played a cedar solid top,mahogany back and sides today.
Very nice guitar.
The shop I was in is I think the only US importer of the brand.

That's what I am doing. I am listening for that one.
There is a company from Slovakia that make a brand called Dowina.
I played a cedar solid top,mahogany back and sides today.
Very nice guitar.
The shop I was in is I think the only US importer of the brand.
Interesting...never heard of that one...what price point?

Interesting...never heard of that one...what price point?
About $1.k
I am waiting on a quote email

I didn't ask when I played it.
:facepalm:

There are a few you tube demo vids on the brand. Check them out,tell my what you think.

About $1.k
I am waiting on a quote email

I didn't ask when I played it.
:facepalm:

If you had asked you would have regretted it...I never looked at the price tags when I bought my Taylor until I knew I had to have it...had I looked sooner I would have rejected it based solely on price and regretted if from that day onward...

If you are really committed to the course you've laid out for yourself get the one you want...compromising based on price will only lead to dissatisfaction down the road...

If you had asked you would have regretted it...I never looked at the price tags when I bought my Taylor until I knew I had to have it...had I looked sooner I would have rejected it based solely on price and regretted if from that day onward...

If you are really committed to the course you've laid out for yourself get the one you want...compromising based on price will only lead to dissatisfaction down the road...
That is it with an acoustic. It is all about the sound that makes you go Ahh..
Price doesn't matter, you want the angels singing went you hit that chord.

Here is a quick demo vid of a Dawina.

I was not sold on the cedar ones. But your ear is your ear. Get what you like. I do like the all mahogany Martins though, for that mellow sound. And the price is reasonable. Not cheap, but good for a nice guitar.

I was not sold on the cedar ones. But your ear is your ear. Get what you like. I do like the all mahogany Martins though, for that mellow sound. And the price is reasonable. Not cheap, but good for a nice guitar.

Damn you!
Those sound great.
This is a quest now,not a search.
:thu:

When I got my Taylor, I played just about every brand I could.
I really wanted to like the Gibson but I just didn't.
The Martin sounded really good but nothing had the clarity and detail of the Taylor.

When I got my Taylor, I played just about every brand I could.
I really wanted to like the Gibson but I just didn't.
The Martin sounded really good but nothing had the clarity and detail of the Taylor.
Yep, it is your ear that matters. For me it was the Gibson, the Taylor for you, and the Guild for instantsteve. Each was the right choice for the person involved. Play a bunch and buy the one that resonates with you!

Wood types, construction, solid or laminate...lots of factors at play with acoustics and how a mfg voices their guitars. When you're looking for that one guitar, I think it's more important to pick the guitar that sounds and plays 'right' to you rather then looking for a formula that might or might not get you where you want to be. Cedar isn't as stiff and snappy as spruce and in general tends to have a more mellow top end and looser low end.

I've downsized and upsized for 40 years. Right now I have an inexpensive electric / parts-caster surplus. I need to par down to a couple of really nice electric guitars.

I've downsized and upsized for 40 years. Right now I have an inexpensive electric / parts-caster surplus. I need to par down to a couple of really nice electric guitars.
It's a taste thing. Nature off the hobby.
Right now I am listening to many more different styles of music.
It only took me 45 years.
Acoustic guitar is in my ear now.

It will take me time to find what sounds good to me,but it is a fun GAS search right now.

I hate going into a shop and playing different guitars and not buying.
I do always pick up some strings or a shirt.

I went 20 years playing just my 1985 D28 Standard and upright bass. Then I slowly got back into electrics again and before I know it I have a closet full of em. It doesn't help if you play bass too.

Back