I am considering the inconsiderable.

Mark Wein

Grand Poobah
Staff member
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1427216990.696930.jpg

Dropping the black strats warmoth neck on my Tokai. The Tokai sounds awesome but between a shitty fretjob and funky small neck it's difficult for me to play. When I get some money I'll probably just get a maple neck for it from warmoth.

Dropping the black strats warmoth neck on my Tokai. The Tokai sounds awesome but between a shitty fretjob and funky small neck it's difficult for me to play. When I get some money I'll probably just get a maple neck for it from warmoth.
What's wrong with the fret job? And that's a 1-5/8" nut, eh?

What's wrong with the fret job? And that's a 1-5/8" nut, eh?
Very low and combined with the 7 1/4" radius and the small neck its a PITA to play. The high e string always feels like its going to fall of the edge of the neck.

Sorry Mark, but this sounds like user error. Send the guitar to me and I'll play it everyday for at least a half hour. :thu:

If you do swap the neck, make sure you don't mod the Tokai in anyway. If the bolt holes don't align, plug them and re-drill. The Tokai is the gem, so don't make it the neck's bitch.

What are the specs on the Warmoth neck?

Sorry Mark, but this sounds like user error. Send the guitar to me and I'll play it everyday for at least a half hour. :thu:

If you do swap the neck, make sure you don't mod the Tokai in anyway. If the bolt holes don't align, plug them and re-drill. The Tokai is the gem, so don't make it the neck's bitch.

What are the specs on the Warmoth neck?
Nah.., i want to be able to put it back to original again if I do.

I can not endorse this idea. Sorry.

That Tokai is nearly sacred. To bastardize it in any way would be a tragedy.

There must be a local guy who can address the neck issues without FUBARing anything.

It may cost a few bucks, but certainly worth it to maintain a rare classic.

Please don't hurt the Tokai. :(

The only thing I can think of is to have someone regret it with really tall frets and then plane them out to a 9 or 10" radius

The only thing I can think of is to have someone regret it with really tall frets and then plane them out to a 9 or 10" radius
You know, it's funny, but a properly leveled 7.25" radius set of frets could play better with lower action than a shitty 15" board. One of my best playing guitars is my Tele with a TMO-V neck that Brian Mason prepped for me. It plays as nice as any of my other guitars with flatter boards.

Get somebody to refret that thing with some Dunlop 6105 wire and properly dress the hell out of them.

Back