I almost bought a Gibson.

Gary Blanchard

beloved, local musician
:eek:

I got an Email from a company offering twelve monthly payments on a Gibson, made in Montana, J-45. That is the one guitar that I wanted as a 16-year-old that I still lust for today. I was just about ready to put it in the shopping cart when I remembered that my finances suck right now and I really can't afford it. Thank God for common sense. I think.

Gibson-J-45-Standard.jpg

Ooh, happy birthday Gary!

I wouldn't do it for a more practical reason... I would never buy a Gibson I couldn't play first.

That's definitely tempting. I was never really into those never having played one, but after seeing Sean Watkins play one with Nickel Creek last year and finding out it was all over their last two albums I would love one as well.

Then, however, I quickly remember that I am NOT Sean Watkins and the feeling passes.

That's definitely tempting. I was never really into those never having played one, but after seeing Sean Watkins play one with Nickel Creek last year and finding out it was all over their last two albums I would love one as well.

Then, however, I quickly remember that I am NOT Sean Watkins and the feeling passes.

A new J45 isn't going to sound anything like his '54/55 anyway. 60 years of break-in time and different specs. I've spent a LOT of time hunting for a J45 and I've yet to hear a modern one that measures up to the golden oldies. Last month I played half a dozen killer ones in a row at Gruhn, but the 50's ones sounded a lot different than the 60's models.

A new J45 isn't going to sound anything like his '54/55 anyway. 60 years of break-in time and different specs. I've spent a LOT of time hunting for a J45 and I've yet to hear a modern one that measures up to the golden oldies. Last month I played half a dozen killer ones in a row at Gruhn, but the 50's ones sounded a lot different than the 60's models.

While this is true, the biggest issue is that I'm not Sean Watkins...which is actually good because I love his sister. That would be terribly awkward.:thu:

While this is true, the biggest issue is that I'm not Sean Watkins...which is actually good because I love his sister. That would be terribly awkward.:thu:

:grin::grin:

True. But if you want something in that style, the Eastman E10SS will definitely get you in the ball park.

There should be a version of "tis better to have loved and lost..." about buying long-pined-for gear. Tis better to have wanted and waited than to have purchased and been disappointed.

I once played a Hummingbird that sounded like a piano. Years from now I'll finally have the money for a luxury acoustic and I'll have to drive across America, from one Amazon warehouse to another, trying every guitar to find one that sounds so good.

Back