I’m very close to selling both Deluxes and my DV Jazz and buying this

Mark Wein

Grand Poobah
Staff member
https://reverb.com/item/5672396-vintage-sound-vintage-40mvp-black-aged-silver

I have to pick up both Deluxes from the shop on Monday. I hate the DV Jazz. I liked th Vintage Sound amps Ive played through and I think this on with the bigger cab and more volume should give me a pretty good clean jazz sound. It also has a good reverb and tremolo.

After I write yet another $200+ check for amp repairs I’ll have about a grands worth of service into those two amps this year. :annoyed:.

I think, with as many struggles as you've had with amps, it would be a pretty solid decision...considering how silly the vintage Fender amp market has gotten you will probably have money left over from selling them...

Plus, that amp looks amazing...

When there are so many good repros out there, makes no sense to gig with a vintage one. Maybe keep it for recording or something, but get a new one for gigging.

giphy.gif

Well, this all took a turn.

Both my wife and my amp tech told me not to sell the Deluxes. Kevin (the amp tech) can build me what I want (40 watt 1x12 single channel with Reverb) for about $600-$800 less than the Vintage Sound. Kevin’s been an amp designer for Fender, Guild, Randall, QSC and a bunch of other companies over the years...amp repair is his retirement gig. He showed me a bunch of stuff around the shop including a rig he built for Brian Bell from Weezer.

This is a Vibroluxe clone for a local guy except he requested it be the same wattage as a Deluxe so it’s got a smaller transformer:

3AA60E42-0514-4FDE-A25D-D66C0E6CCED6.jpeg

This is the pile of motherboards he’s pulled from new amps to replace with hand wired guts:

F36F1858-A903-421C-98FC-6DAF6CDACCAA.jpeg

Still considering it but if Mrs Wein is onboard....

Well, hell, if that is the case have him install a half-power switch and install a reactive load box with an XLR output...

If you can afford to keep them and get the new amp, that seems like the smart move. And with the wife on board, seems like a no brainer. With not taking them out to gig every week, they’ll probably hold up a lot better too.

Back