Hummmmmmmm, I need a cleaner amp sooo what's your recommend?

11.JPG

I have ordered the Frank Gambale DV Mark amp. Thanks to @Wyatt for the recommendation and @Mark Wein for the demo video. I got it from MF so if it sucks I can return it. Will report back soon.
Interested in seeing how you like it. I frankly, have never really understood the clean amp thing. But that is also because I am no pro. I tend to want a little color on my clean. Maybe not ratty dirty, but Bassman-esque seems to be my style.

Interested in seeing how you like it. I frankly, have never really understood the clean amp thing. But that is also because I am no pro. I tend to want a little color on my clean. Maybe not ratty dirty, but Bassman-esque seems to be my style.
I like a big fat clean with some character, as opposed to a shimmery pristine clean sound. What I was getting from my Deluxe and AC15 was too much into overdrive territory for my tastes.

Also, this will be much easier to manage for NYC gigs so even if the sound isn't as good as my toob ampz the weight/portability will be worth it.

For a lot of folks, the dirt comes from pedals. For me, I like a tube amp on the verge of breaking up and then using a pedal to take it over the top when needed. The problem is, when you gig, every room is different, so the 15 watt combo you have may be perfect for venue A, a smaller place with your guitar going through a PA. But venue B is a bit larger and has no PA for your amp, so now you need to turn up your amp more than venue A so now that nice "on the verge of breakup" is now full on overdrive. Which is awesome, unless your songs call for clean sections. So you get a 40 watt amp and now, you can't get to the verge of breakup at venue A without the sound guy screaming at you to turn down every 5 seconds but it is great for venue B. So in a perfect world where we are all multi millionaires, you buy an AC10, AC15 and AC30 and hire your crew to setup whichever amp is right for the room :grin:

Yeah, I'm a Marshall guy at heart but I do really like the Fender sound as well. You can't beat the phenomenal cleans and semi dirty tones from the fender small amp lineup.

For a lot of folks, the dirt comes from pedals. For me, I like a tube amp on the verge of breaking up and then using a pedal to take it over the top when needed. The problem is, when you gig, every room is different, so the 15 watt combo you have may be perfect for venue A, a smaller place with your guitar going through a PA. But venue B is a bit larger and has no PA for your amp, so now you need to turn up your amp more than venue A so now that nice "on the verge of breakup" is now full on overdrive. Which is awesome, unless your songs call for clean sections. So you get a 40 watt amp and now, you can't get to the verge of breakup at venue A without the sound guy screaming at you to turn down every 5 seconds but it is great for venue B. So in a perfect world where we are all multi millionaires, you buy an AC10, AC15 and AC30 and hire your crew to setup whichever amp is right for the room :grin:
Or an attenuator

Or an attenuator

Yeah, but then you are carrying a "big" amp to every gig, which I guess is ok. I wouldn't be able to do every gig with an AC 30, a 70lb amp is too much for me to lug around a real gigging schedule. I also haven't gigged in 15 years. Attenuators weren't as common as they are now.

A little late and I see you've ordered an amp, but...

If you are still in the market after trying the amp you ordered, check out the clean channel on the MESA Express series amps. I have a 5:25 1x12 which works great for most gig situations. I have a matching 1x12 for situations where a little more oomph is needed. I briefly owned a 5:50 2x12 and it had a shimmery fender sounding clean channel. The 5:50 comes in a 1x12 configuration as well.

It's a long story, involving multiple techs and cross country shipping. When I am at a computer I can type it all out

Sent from my iPhone using Crapapost

Back