Hummingbird copies or approximations

jp_nyc

Kick Henry Jackassowski
I love Hummingbirds but I don’t have $2,000+ to drop on a guitar. Are there any inexpensive (less than $700) similar guitars available in the USA? I’m not interested in Guild’s M120 because I don’t want the all-mahogany sound, and I’m not a big fan of Taylor or Martin guitars. All I can find with that scale length are parlor guitars. Is there anybody out there importing new Japanese copies? Alternately, are the 1970s Aria and Maxon copies good?

I also love Hummingbirds. I once found one in a pawn shop for $800 but I was in high school at the time so didn't have any money :(

In the 70's I had a Hummingbird copy. While my memory is fuzzy, I seem to remember it was an Aria. I loved it and played it a lot.

I think I remember seeing an Epiphone Hummingbird somewhere. I can't vouch for the quality though.

I had a Greco 12 string hummingbird copy from the 70's. It was the real deal. However, the bridge was lifting beyond repair. :(

I'd love to have one, but I really need a Parlor or OM at this point more than another large body.

Sent from none of your fuckin' business!

A buddy of mine has an early-70s Ibanez Hummingbird knock-off that's really nice...no idea where you'd find one these days, but worth the search. Looks a great deal like this one, minus the p/u.

57123-1.jpg

Oh, look...might be your lucky day!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-1970S-...E-/400630513366?pt=Guitar&hash=item5d47707ed6

Last edited:
Funny how every Japanese copy of any guitar shows up and ebay as a "Lawsuit" guitar.
A friend of mine had a Lyle hummingbird copy. Didn't sound like a Gibson, but looked like one.
You could have a custom pickguard made for an acoustic. That might fill the bill.

I've noticed that while that are A LOT of decent Martin copies, and some pretty nice Taylor copies, etc. there really aren't that many good Gibson copies out there. Everybody likes to copy the looks, but one really has the sound down. For instance, I was GASing for a J45, but I'm a college student and just can't spend that kind of money on an instrument. I found a Recording King RAJ-126SN for just over $300 on an Amazon deal of the day kind of thing about a year ago. The guitar retails for about $800, and while the scale is long, and I knew the sound wasn't going to be very Gibson-esque, it was close enough to kill the GAS.

As others have said, you might try looking for a lawsuit model, or an older Epiphone, but I've sort of given up on finding a really good Gibson clone, at least in the sound department.

I've noticed that while that are A LOT of decent Martin copies, and some pretty nice Taylor copies, etc. there really aren't that many good Gibson copies out there. Everybody likes to copy the looks, but one really has the sound down. For instance, I was GASing for a J45, but I'm a college student and just can't spend that kind of money on an instrument. I found a Recording King RAJ-126SN for just over $300 on an Amazon deal of the day kind of thing about a year ago. The guitar retails for about $800, and while the scale is long, and I knew the sound wasn't going to be very Gibson-esque, it was close enough to kill the GAS.

As others have said, you might try looking for a lawsuit model, or an older Epiphone, but I've sort of given up on finding a really good Gibson clone, at least in the sound department.
Ibanez made some pretty decent ones in the '70s...keep your eyes open on Ebay and at guitar shows.

Back