How often does this happen to you?

Mark Wein

Grand Poobah
Staff member
I just "auditioned" for a new student. I don't mind doing free trial lessons for people but occasionally I get someone who has had a teacher or two in the past that they weren't happy with and they want to come and put me through the paces...will I listen to them in terms of what they want to learn and what their goals are? Do I actually know what I'm talking about? Am I professional enough to be there on time and not reschedule lessons randomly? Am I pleasant, decently groomed, have a track record with other students?

Once I get someone in my office and they have made the trip down here, looked at my stuff online and spent a few minutes with me its usually a no brainer but it amazes me that there are teachers out there that are so unprofessional that I get this kind of interrogation from potential customers that have been burnt somewhere else.

Does this happen where you work or is Southern California particularly sucky?

i get that from time to time. they usually want to make sure that my goal is to actually teach them instead of giving them chord progressions to solo over (which is what a LOT of teachers do). the point of sale is usually when i ask them how to construct a triad and they look at me blankly. they usually take lessons for two months and drop off because they don't have time to practice. i assume they then rinse and repeat with somebody else.

I honestly don't know how the fuck you guys put up with students.
I'd cut their junk off and hang 'em upside-down by their pinky toes inside of 15 minutes.

it's never happened to me.
not in that setting, anyways.

I did once audition (and the ONLY time I have done so for anything) for a death metal band many years ago.
I had my head shaved at the time.

could play rings around the lot, but I was a no-go due to lack of hair.

they never did get off the ground.

and now Kerry King's bald :lol:

When I taught and the student only wanted to jam or learn a solo, I sent him to someone else. I was more interested in having students that wanted to study music and the guitar.

Never happened to me, but I'm sure it's not all that uncommon; especially if this guy/gal has had a bad experience somewhere else.

I honestly don't know how the fuck you guys put up with students.
I'd cut their junk off and hang 'em upside-down by their pinky toes inside of 15 minutes.

Lol.

I think this guy will be fine, but his previous teaching was a fucking idiot who almost caused him to throw in the towel on music completely.

I always wonder how many folks fall in the cracks though and never pursue music after an experience like that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lol.

I think this guy will be fine, but his previous teaching was a fucking idiot who almost caused him to throw in the towel on music completely.

I always wonder how many folks fall in the cracks though and never pursue music after an experience like that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had one teacher who showed up for three lessons. I showed up for four lessons that he never called just let my Mom drive me across town even though he wasn't there.

The next guy just had me play a chord so he could solo over it for a half an hour. No homework, things to study, nothing. Just "thanks man, that was great, see you next week."

I was 17 at the time. I quit playing guitar until I tried again when I was 27. I still get mad wondering what kind of progress I could have made if I found a decent teacher when I was a teenager. :mad:

I just "auditioned" for a new student. I don't mind doing free trial lessons for people but occasionally I get someone who has had a teacher or two in the past that they weren't happy with and they want to come and put me through the paces...will I listen to them in terms of what they want to learn and what their goals are? Do I actually know what I'm talking about? Am I professional enough to be there on time and not reschedule lessons randomly? Am I pleasant, decently groomed, have a track record with other students?

Once I get someone in my office and they have made the trip down here, looked at my stuff online and spent a few minutes with me its usually a no brainer but it amazes me that there are teachers out there that are so unprofessional that I get this kind of interrogation from potential customers that have been burnt somewhere else.

Does this happen where you work or is Southern California particularly sucky?

Honestly, I say bravo to him. Here's why...
I've seen countless articles/posts recently about what to look for in a music teacher and why it's so valuable to take lessons. I say bravo because it shows me he's actually interested in music and want to maximize his time, money, and effort in that pursuit.
There are A LOT of shit music teachers out there. A LOT! I've paid several of them.
So bravo I say. And congrats to you Mark for getting a good student. I'm sure you enjoy it more that way.

Sent from The Nether

Back