How much in the way of "canned" lessons do you have prepared?

Mark Wein

Grand Poobah
Staff member
I have a ton of stuff I've accumulated over 20+ years of teaching, and a lot of it is what made up my book.....do you have specific stuff already made up for the basics or do you do every lesson fresh for each student?

Granted, all my teaching was before computers, and my approach was "wrong", but I always let guys know that they should take real lessons... Still, you find yourself teaching people a lot over the years, and my main way, beyond basic chord books was to make up blank "fret boards" on clear plastic sheets... Then, when it was time to show scales, I could keep stacking various ones on top of each other to show different pentatonic scales and modes... I have learned a lot since I taught anyone, so my approach would be different, but I think I would still use the plastic sheets...

I've got hundreds of tabs, both on my computer and in books. For when students forget their own materials I also keep a couple of sight-reading and theory books handy. I also have a book called Guitar Lick Factory which is great for just showing off some common riffs and licks in a bunch of genres.

Back