How much faster is an F1 car?

Downforce is an amazing thing. The speed of an F1 car around a hot lap is something you have to see to believe. It is astonishing.

The really fast F1 pace car, a mercedes AMG GT, which would destroy the vast majority of road cars in any performance comparison, looks like a wagon compared to a 'normal' race car from the F1 support races (things like Ferrari world challenge), and those purpose built race cars look like speed bumps compared to how fast F1 cars blast around a track.

I've read reports of cars pulling between 3.5-5 g in fast corners, 0-100 km/h blasts in 1.6 seconds, and 300 km/h to zero in 3 seconds. :messedup:

And next year they will be even faster. With the new technical regulations they are expecting to smash all the records set in 2004 when they had the V10 and all that extra down force.
Now they will have engines making about 1000 bhb (but they still sound like shit), bigger tires and more down force.

F1 is the only motorsport that still looks fast when watching it TV. They speeds they carry through the corners is mind boggling. I've also witnessed 3 GP's in person, and when they had the V8's it was an awesome experience to be right on the front straight when they went by at nearly 200 mph.

Reactions: Tig
F1 is the only motorsport that still looks fast when watching it TV. They speeds they carry through the corners is mind boggling. I've also witnessed 3 GP's in person, and when they had the V8's it was an awesome experience to be right on the front straight when they went by at nearly 200 mph.

I've only been to one, but it was in 2001—the peak of the Hakkinen/Schumacher period—and it was at Indy. The shriek from those V10s was straight from the deepest pits of Hell and watching those cars rocket down the front straight is something my brain still hasn't quite processed.

Last edited:
And next year they will be even faster. With the new technical regulations they are expecting to smash all the records set in 2004 when they had the V10 and all that extra down force.
Now they will have engines making about 1000 bhb (but they still sound like shit), bigger tires and more down force.

i was at 2 Detroit G.P.'s back in the 80's, when they were still being run in the streets and the paddock area was the underground parking lot for Joe Louis arena.
they were still running the Ford Cosworth DFY/Z V-8's back then and yea, the tone was amazing. and they were F.A.S.T.
lotus_92___ford_cosworth_dfv__usa_1983__by_f1_history-d5nauex.jpg

Last edited:
i was at 2 Detroit G.P.'s back in the 80's, when they were still being run in the streets and the paddock area was the underground parking lot for Joe Louis arena.
they were still running the Ford Cosworth DFV/Y V-8's back then and yea, the tone was amazing. and they were F.A.S.T.
lotus_92___ford_cosworth_dfv__usa_1983__by_f1_history-d5nauex.jpg
drool0

Back