How much does a perfect finish matter to you?

The only reason I would care is if I was worried about resale. If it feels and sounds right, and there isn't anything terribly bad with the finish, I am fine with it. However, when the time come to potentially sell it, it might hurt the value.

I expect a new guitar to have a quality finish. Pay more, get more, and all that, but even a cheap guitar should have a nice paint job. I have no problem buying a guitar with some minor finish flaws if I am paying a B stock price, but if I am paying regular retail, I want it to be good.

I probably have bought more used guitars than new guitars, and the most expensive guitars I've bought have been used. When I do this, there is no psychic shock from getting the first ding -- someone else already did it for me!

On the one hand, I have an Alvarez with a dented finish on the top. It's not big, and it didn't come that way. It happened when I lent it to a guy during a band rehearsal. He turned around and smacked it into a post (square support post in the basement). He never even said he was sorry. After the rehearsal, I saw the ding, and was just sick about it because I try to keep my guitars in good shape. Now as to buying perfection, I have a couple of Epiphones (LP and SG Custom) that are stamped "used." These are seconds, and in both cases, it took me a long time to find the imperfections. In the end, they both play well, and since I'm not looking to sell them any time soon, I really don't care about the tiny imperfections.

Honestly, I'm not sure I would even know overspray or orange peel if I saw it.

What's your take?

Ignorance is bliss.

Orange peel looks like crap, google it. Makes my think of Krylon. Overspray all depends on the affected area, but would you buy a new guitar with a drip or run dried into the finish?

Either one would be a no-go on a new guitar for me. If companies can put a smooth finish on a $150 guitar, they should be should be able to on a $2500 guitar. But I am conscious that nitro over shrinks over time and settles into the grain, so I don't expect a used guitar with nitro to give a mirror finish.

Typically this seems a problem with a company culture. One company in particular rely on unskilled labor hired off the street for jobs that have low wages and high turnover...but they sell like hotcakes despite inflated prices.

Last edited:
For me a guitar has to first sound great and second play great. I don't have a problem with minor imperfections in the finish. So long as I'm not getting a brand new guitar with a big ding in it I'd be fine. Worse for me is a guitar that has a beautiful, flawless finish....and sounds flat and lifeless. Gimme orange peel or overspray on a great sounding guitar any day over pretty and blah.

This. If I'm paying $250, then all I really care about is playability for that price. If I'm spending $2500+, then it better be damn near perfect.
Yep. It's about expectations. I don't expect a $250 guitar to be perfect, but if you're taking thousands of dollars of my money, you'd better get it right.

There's an old saying amongst finishers that a great painter is measured not by how many mistakes he makes but by how well he hides them.
I like my finishes to be nice but I'm also realistic about what you're gonna get in a given price range. On a $400 guitar, I probably wouldn't complain about some paint bleed into the binding but I'd want it corrected if I was spending $4k on something new.
On used, it is what it is. If I can get a discount because of finish issues, I'll take it. Money trumps orange peel.

finish condition (or cosmetics in general) doesn't bother me, unless they are obvious/apparent and aren't disclosed by the seller. i don't mind a few "rough edges" as long as i know they're there going into a deal. I just don't like surprises.

I saw an Ãgile hanging on the wall used at GC today. I honestly think that's the first time I've seen one in person but based on the one minute I looked at it, comparing to a Gibson (or even an Epiphone) is 100% laughable.

I saw an Ãgile hanging on the wall used at GC today. I honestly think that's the first time I've seen one in person but based on the one minute I looked at it, comparing to a Gibson (or even an Epiphone) is 100% laughable.

You know... My 3100 is sweet though. I love it. The guitar sounds and plays well. There is nothing laughably about it and... I own some great Gibson Les Paul models.

Just saying...

Agile_3100_HSB_1800_01.jpg

Everything about my 3100 is fantastic... Except for the original non linear pots and dead pickups... Once I changed those I would put it up against any Gibson LP

Here's another thing: Do you care that finish flaws might affect the resale value?

The odds of me selling a guitar are really, really low. It's just not something I do much. When I do buy, I expect it to be mine for life.

If you think you might sell the guitar later, does that cause you to raise your standard?

Back