How many acoustics do you own?

Modern Saint

Starve your Fear, Feed your Dream!
While the focus is dominant on electrics here at MWGL, I have just a few questions.

1) how many acoustics do you own?

I own 5 acoustics, well kinda 6.

Ovation '86 Collector - Standard Tuning
Ovation Elite 12-string- Standard Tuning
Ovation Celebrity -Open G Tuning
Taylor Baby - - Standard Tuning
Takamine Classical - - Standard Tuning
Ovation Mandolin

2) How often do you play them?

I play my Collector the most as I perform with that one. The Celebrity is getting more time now as I work on some open G tunes. Just pulled the 12-string out as I haven't played it in a while. The Baby gets playing sparingly. The Takamine - about twice a year when I have a bug up my butt to play classical again. As for the Mando, at twice a week.

3) Do you perform out with them?

Mostly the Collector. Gonna be taking the Celebrity as well. The Baby, 12 and Mando has only seen jam get togethers. The Classical was used when I studied in college so it was used in my recitals. Since then it has not seen the stage.

Rubio spruce-top classical
Manzer 6-string
Lowden RT model
Dupont D-hole
Santa Cruz Tony Rice model
Dobro Jerry Douglas model

I feel like I'm missing one.

I play them all fairly consistently, at least one of them daily. I go in cycles where I'll play one for 2-3 weeks and then cycle on, depending on the repertoire I'm working on. Except for the Dobro. I barely touch the Dobro.

I very rarely play live, really. I perform once or twice a month at hospitals and long-term care facilities... But the old folks prefer piano jazz.

Lets see. I have (at this moment) five acoustics:
  1. Luna Trinity 12-string A/E
  2. Luna Trinity 6-string A/E (new)
  3. Luna Trinity 6-stringA/E (used - now on Craigslist)
  4. Luna Blue Eclipse 6-string A/E
  5. Luna Muse Burst 6-string (acoustic only)
I play the 12-string and the Trinity 6-string a good bit, as well as the Muse Burst. The Blue Eclipse hasn't been played much in the last month or so.

I generally use the two Trinity guitars when I perform, though I have used the Muse Burst for Carol's nature meditation group.

Four guitars and an A/E bass...need to play the bass more. I also need/want a nylon string.

The guitar I play most in my Ibanez Talman A/E beater...that's overall, not just acoustic.

I don't play out, in fact I rarely play at all...couple of times a week if I'm feeling it.

Last edited:
1) I currently own -- lessee:
Go Guitars Go-Grande Walnut (currently on loan)
Tacoma DR12
Tacoma EM9 (needs a neck reset)
Martin SWOMGT (I may sell this because of...)
Emerald 07 "woodie"
Yamaha A/E classical
Takamine EG523SC-12

That makes seven.

I play the Emerald almost every day, the Martin weekly, the Tak when I need a 12-string (varies depending on my mood) and the others infrequently-to-never

I have performed with the Martin, both Tacomas, the Emerald, and the Tak.

I'm thinking of selling the Martin, because since I got the Emerald, it doesn't get out much.

- Taylor T5 Slimline acoustic electric
- Fanned Fret Acoustic
- Guitalele (uke scale length but with 6 nylon strings tuned like a guitar)

ff74.jpg

I play the Taylor basically every day. Even though I have almost a dozen electrics, the Taylor is my go-to.

Yes, I play out all the time. In fact, I have two gigs this weekend. :helper:

1 acoustic guitar (with an internal pickup system), one mandolin.

The acoustic is a Taylor 814, and I play it rarely. It was my father's, and I'll always have it for that reason, but I don't think it's a particularly comfortable guitar to play. I just really dislike the neck.

The Mandolin is a Vega, from the early 90's I think. It's a nice example. It was my grandfather's, who was a bluegrass musician in WV. I don't even know the proper tuning for a mandolin, so that should answer that question. :)

OK -- if we're counting stuff like the Taylor, I've also got this:

Of course it counts.... it has an acoustic bridge on it. If you had one of those hollow frame guitars with no body but acoustic strings and piezo bridge, that would count too. :tongue:

1985 Martin D28 Std no pickup-my bluegrass guitar since it was new.
Recording King R07 w Baggs M1A soundhole pickup-my general purpose acoustic.
Gretsch Jim Dandy w lipstick pickup-blues acoustic.
Old 1920s mail order parlor that belonged to my great uncle, needs a lot of work. Neck reset, holes patched.
Tak dred I picked up at a flea market for$30. Needs a nut, saddle, and minor fretwork. I'll get to it eventually.

Until very recently my acoustics got played more than my electrics. Right now I'm concentrating on electric because of a new band gig on electric.

2 (see sig)
Neither are high end guitars, neither will ever be sold and in spite of the fact that they are cheap I'll likely never bother to get another (unless they were destroyed or stolen)

1) How many acoustics do you own?

I own 5 acoustics-electrics.

Taylor 710ce acoustic-electric
Takamine EF360GF Glenn Frey Signature acoustic-electric
Epiphone Masterbuilt DR500MCE acoustic-electric
Takamine EG523SC-12 acoustic-electric 12-string
Ibanez PF-10-12 acoustic-electric 12-string

The Taylor (awesome harmonics and resonance; cutaway), the Glenn Frey (outstanding projection) , and the Masterbuilt (warmth for days) all get regular play time. The Ibanez 12-string never gets played anymore, ever since the Takamine 12-string came into the house. The Takamine 12-string has gone into disfavor ever since I recently played a Taylor 356ce 12-string. The Takamine had a fat D shaped neck, and it's never really been comfortable for me. My hand starts to cramp after playing it for more than a 1/2 hr. The Taylor 12-string, has a very comfortable neck, and I could play it all day.

Yes, but my venue is a weekly church service, so they get rotated, depending on what is being played.

Last edited:
Tacoma C1C
Resonator
One of those cheap Gretsch with the Cowboy graphics from drinking the HC Kool Aid back in the day.
Sadly I play it more because its the most accessible.

Three. An Ariana (Aria) folk/classical from the 1970s. A Honer mahogany acoustic I found in a NYC garbage can that just needed new strings. And some cheapo 70s Finnish guitar that sounds amazing but needs a new bridge, and I’m not going to spend hundreds of dollars on that.

1) How many acoustics do you own?

One, my Yamaha FG411E, jumbo electro-acoustic.

Varies, sometimes it's all I play, sometimes I don't touch it for months.

Back when I bought it (sometime 96/97), I was in a new country band and it was pretty much all I played on stage at the time. I left that band in November 1997 and it's been used occasionally in some of my subsequent bands but I've primarily been electric. Recently started adding an acoustic mini set to my current 3 piece band as a different angle for gigs but with the old drummer retiring that's been put on hold while we get a replacement in.

Back