How is it these days for a private seller trying to sell a used guitar?

Can't see them, guess you need to be a member of the gear page.

A couple of people have said to price higher, so you can come down. I don't know, are there people who like to haggle, and people who don't? If I see something, and the price is too high, I move on. If the standard practice is to ask for more than you want, and you are going to come down, I don't know how much they are going to come down/how delusional they are.

Thanks, guys. I got some trade offers overnight (nothing i specified) but its still early and anything can happen.

Can't see them, guess you need to be a member of the gear page.

A couple of people have said to price higher, so you can come down. I don't know, are there people who like to haggle, and people who don't? If I see something, and the price is too high, I move on. If the standard practice is to ask for more than you want, and you are going to come down, I don't know how much they are going to come down/how delusional they are.

I've rarely found a buyer on the internet who didn't want to haggle. And I always lowball my offer price when I'm looking to buy.

@GreatDane those offers come in all the time. You want money, they want to trade you their 80s ESP, which was once glanced at affirmingly by Kirk Hammett. You're likely much more gracious with declining their offers than I am. :grin:

how is eBay these days for sellers? fees still a killer? i used to run .01 start no reserve auctions all the time, but the fees started to get a little greedy, and i think they changed their policies to be almost seller-adverse. am i right about that? i don't want to get scammed on a sale, but the global exposure would be really good for some of these items.

The fees suck.
My last few buyers all tried to 'pull one over on me' to game at least a partial refund
eBay/paypal are really more oriented in providing buyers protection than arbitrating a fair outcome (not that I've had to deal w/ it but you read horror stories all the time)

The sad part is that ebay is still probably your best bet for maximum buyer exposure....but between the cost, effort & risk, it's no longer worthwhile from my POV.

fuck i want the jazzmaster!

btw i wouldnt do that payment deal with just anyone
like someone with zero posts

I've rarely found a buyer on the internet who didn't want to haggle. And I always lowball my offer price when I'm looking to buy.

@GreatDane those offers come in all the time. You want money, they want to trade you their 80s ESP, which was once glanced at affirmingly by Kirk Hammett. You're likely much more gracious with declining their offers than I am. :grin:

no matter what i include at the top, people will do whatever they want. it's not something i get upset about, but i do end up sending a lot of "not really what i'm looking for, but thank you just the same" types of PMs. i haven't run into the guy with the 80s ESP licked by Kirk yet, but i can imagine he's out there somewhere. i do seem to attract a lot of "builders" looking to send me his/her latest creation - some allparts build with a nasty relic job. ugh...

fuck i want the jazzmaster!

btw i wouldnt do that payment deal with just anyone
like someone with zero posts

the jazzmaster is a cool guitar. it records really well too. everything i've done with it has come out sounding really special.

i've done the payment thing with zero-post folks and it's been OK. i make sure all the funds clear and deposit before anything goes out. it really has been a win/win for those who have done it. not sure why more sellers don't offer that option.

Not at all. Actually this is interesting to me since I'm planning on putting both of my Suhrs and a couple of other strats up for sale next month and I have no idea how to price anything.

Let me know when those go up for sale!!!

I had a few good sales on Reverb but it took a while. I have one guitar up there yet and it's been posted for a month. I usually do consignment at a local store...saves me the hassle of dealing with idiots in person.

I haven't played either on a gig in about a year and I'm planning on doing some remodeling at the studio so the funds could come in handy. I've just been waiting for the new McFeely before I make any final decisions and that will probably be here the second week in May :)

i talked to a nice guy from California on the phone today who is interested in either the 175D or the Jazzmaster. we'll see where it goes.

Back