How do you fry an egg?

Interesting. I know my wife and I have differing ways of frying eggs (she's so paranoid about anything being undercooked, can't eat hamburger if there's any pink in it, etc.... while I like my yolks warm but runny.) :tongue:

If I'm just cooking eggs, I prefer them over-easy. I don't mind a runny yolk, but I HATE any of the egg white uncooked. Looks like snot.
So, over easy just enough to put a white crust over the yolk.

Or, even better, just baste the yolk with bacon grease. The hot grease will cook the white over the yoke.
Besides, you're cooking your eggs in the same pan as you just fried your bacon, right. RIGHT?

I don't do the sunny side up; I like to give it a flip.
However, I turn the heat off before I do, then leave it in the pan just long enough to get a faint cloudiness over the yolk--somewhere between over easy and over medium.

Now I want to try sous-vide eggs.

that looks really good...not necessarily fried but tasty looking never the less.

I use my electric homebrewing kettle to sous-vide. Not sure if I'm up for dragging it out for a couple eggs but I'm intrigued.

Put 'em in a pan and fry 'em.

I have to confess that I am completely incapable of remembering what all the different terms mean -- sunny side up, over easy, etc. I fry my eggs in bacon grease if available, otherwise butter. And I like the edges crispy and the yolk runny. Sometimes I flip it, sometimes I don't.

And I can't stand those fried eggs that don't look the least bit fried. Just eat a hardboiled egg if that's what you want.

However, I turn the heat off before I do, then leave it in the pan just long enough to get a faint cloudiness over the yolk--somewhere between over easy and over medium.

That is pretty much my method although I will typically sprinkle seasoning or bits of cheese or meat on top before the flip. For example, if I am making bacon or sausage to go with it, I'll chop up a very little bit nice and fine and sprinkle it on. And I'm probably closer to over medium. I need just enough yoke to be able to sop with the white part. More than that is a bit messy for me.

Crack egg into a pan with either butter or canola oil (butter has "better" flavor, but it causes more sticking even in non-stick pans). Cook until white is opaque flip and cook 30-45 second...perfect over easy egg.

That said, I don't eat them anymore. I stick to egg beaters (usually store brand) to avoid the cholesterol. They are so good though...especially with bacon to dip into the yolks and home fries.

If I'm just cooking eggs, I prefer them over-easy. I don't mind a runny yolk, but I HATE any of the egg white uncooked. Looks like snot.
So, over easy just enough to put a white crust over the yolk.

Or, even better, just baste the yolk with bacon grease. The hot grease will cook the white over the yoke.
Besides, you're cooking your eggs in the same pan as you just fried your bacon, right. RIGHT?

This.

And I just ate exactly that. Yum.

I don't. I do scrambled or omeletted usually, and then I slap it on a tortilla or muffin with some pig meat and cheese. (Sometimes the pig meat is fake, but not because I am a crusader for pig's rights).

I vastly prefer poached eggs to fried -- why add fat?

'Cause fat is good :tongue:

Butter, or if available, bacon grease for fried eggs. Lately though, it's all about the microwave stone pot. Minute and a half, no muss, no fuss. :cool:

'Cause fat is good :tongue:

Butter, or if available, bacon grease for fried eggs. Lately though, it's all about the microwave stone pot. Minute and a half, no muss, no fuss. :cool:

My dad used to do the bacon grease cooking for fried eggs. Let it roll over the top a few times and you get a perfectly over easy egg without the bother of flipping it. So good, but so very bad for you.

Now I want to try sous-vide eggs.

eggmatrix136f-152f-with-temperatures-620x620.jpg

SV eggs isn't at all revelatory like SV steak ("I'm never going back again!").

But if you're hosting a brunch or something and you want to serve 50 perfectly cooked eggs all at the same time and at the same temperature, them SV is the ticket.

Try this- (make sure you have a skillet with a lid that fits)

Fry egg as normal, preferably with butter over med heat. Instead of flipping it, when the white is cooked pour in about 1/3 cup of water(depending on the skillet size, you want at least 1/16" of water over the entire bottom) and slap the lid on it. leave it for a minute or so, a little longer than you would if you flipped it. It will steam poach the egg with a nice white coat, leaving the yoke thick but runny, and it'll look perfect.

Should come out like this

poached-fried+egg+1.jpg

Back