How do you dirt?

Most of our dirt got washed downstream in the latest monsoon. :embarrassed:

Lately I've just been cranking the Valve Jr and adjusting the volume knob on the guitar to taste. I need to rebuild my DOD FX-55b though, between that and the Jet City Afterburner I think I'd have all the bases covered. Single coil, humbucker, acoustic, won't matter.

Zen Drive Clone into Digitech Hardwire Metal distortion. If I would change anything out I would trade the Hardwire for my muff clone because the hardwire doesn't do the lightly distorted thing as well.

Mostly amp drive on the Victory, or my AC30 when my back thinks it's ok to bring it along. :embarrassed:
For the slightly overdriven stuff as my V30's clean channel is extremely clean and doesn't do breakup, either the Cmatmods Signa Drive or Joyo AC Tone.
Signa Drive also gets used for adding a bit more gain for some leads.

The AC Tone is nice for when I can't be arsed to bring the AC30 and need that sort of sound.¨

Analogman Beano for the treble booster stuff, obviously key for doing the Queen stuff.
Can be switched to a mid booster as well, which is obviously quite handy for leads.

Also got a TC Dark Matter which these days only get pulled out when I need to play on borrowed backline (very rare). Amp set clean and the TC as a main drive/distortion thing.

I like dirt. :embarrassed:

Using my amp's preamp stages (Trace Elliot Super Tramp Tube) and I have a Vox Satchurator in the gig bag as a backup. For home practice just use plug into the Boss Microcube direct.

In the storage cupboard there's a Boss DS-1 and a couple of rack multi-fx processors that can do various levels of filth.

How do I dirt?

...let me count the ways...

On my main board there is an Ehx Hot Tubes, PedalMonsters Klone, OCD, and Dirty Little Secret...

On my practice board an Ehx Soul Food and OD Glove...

In my pedal tote, in reserve, are a Wampler Pinnacle, Tech21 Boost/OD, and Ehx Crayon and East River Drive...

Tell me more about the Tech21 Boost/OD. Thought about it a couple of months ago when it was SDOTD.

I'm madly in love with my EH Soul Food and Big Muff Nano. The Soul Food has a ton of range from old punk to blues to heavy metal and when the Pi gets kicked in on top of it...face melting crunchy super loud shred ensues.
Then the Pi alone has its own merits.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

Tell me more about the Tech21 Boost/OD. Thought about it a couple of months ago when it was SDOTD.
It's basically a souped up Tube Screamer with a wider tonal range and a built in boost circuit...the boost circuit is really good and works independent of the drive...

Good pedal, but not what I need on my board at the moment...but also worth keeping in reserve...

I use an MXR Super Distortion 78 and a Chicago Stompworks Ruby Red Fuzz (Muff clone in a pretty red box).

Other than that, it's just the dirt channel on my Peavey Classic 30.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

I set my amp on the verge of break up. basically I use 3 sounds.

- clean channel, no pedals. I don't need a crystal clean so this works just fine.

- clean channel boosted with a keeley ts9dx. this is my main sound. pedal is set on zero gain, volume maxed.

- dirty channel for the loud parts. usually I just change channels and leave the boost on.

My favorites, and most used:

Wren and Cuff Box of War (civil war muff clone)
Henretta Choad Blaster (the most versatile dirt pedal I've owned, I think)
Lovepedal Kalamazoo (sort of a Klone, but with a lot more gain)
Foxpedal Wrath (rat clone)

As you can see, I lean more toward the fuzzy end of the dirt spectrum. :)

All sorts of ways...I mostly dirt for recording, so I'm looking for a specific texture/tone/frequency most often.

In the last year or so I've used...

MXR Dist +
MXR Blue Box
Shoe Black Box
Dano French Toast
Devi Ever Hyperion
Op Amp Muff Clone (with clean blend)
EHX Hot Tubes
Joyo American
Joyo AC

For live/rehearsal noise, I've been using a Marshall BB2 or a cheap mini Rat clone (forget the brand).

I've also got a Joyo Sweet Baby pedal that I like, but haven't found the use for. Plus I think I still have some other random weird distortion and fuzz things that I can't be entirely certain I ain't sold.

I've also been messing around with a Digitech Dirty Robot to get synthy tones that sound like dirt but aren't exactly.

All sorts of ways...I mostly dirt for recording, so I'm looking for a specific texture/tone/frequency most often.

In the last year or so I've used...

MXR Dist +
MXR Blue Box
Shoe Black Box
Dano French Toast
Devi Ever Hyperion
Op Amp Muff Clone (with clean blend)
EHX Hot Tubes
Joyo American
Joyo AC

For live/rehearsal noise, I've been using a Marshall BB2 or a cheap mini Rat clone (forget the brand).

I've also got a Joyo Sweet Baby pedal that I like, but haven't found the use for. Plus I think I still have some other random weird distortion and fuzz things that I can't be entirely certain I ain't sold.

I've also been messing around with a Digitech Dirty Robot to get synthy tones that sound like dirt but aren't exactly.

Wow, still got the French Toast. :thu:

Back