How do you dirt?

Help!I'maRock!

Mediocringly Derivative
My favorite dirt is the my Pickle Drive, but getting it to work on bass is cumbersome. I ran it in a mix loop with an EQ, and it sounded great. But now I'm running an MXR Bass Distortion, which is a Fuzzrocious modded RAT, and it allowed me to downsize nicely.

How are you dirting?

Mostly a Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive MOD but.....this is in the mail:

16709574_10211468545454584_1199058457_o.jpg

And there will be something else in the near future that I'm actually more excited about.

j60JPYX.jpg

Spill it, Wein. What is it/who built it?
Justin TenCate. He asked me if I'd like to try some of his prototypes a few months ago. This is the first one. Its a modified Zen Drive apparently with more dirt available. I think one knob moves it from soft to hard clipping IIRC. It's like the Zendrive has an OCD mixed in with it

From our conversations: Think of the drive as an OD, the texture as a distortion blend.

I asked him for another one which is based on a Maxon pedal that I think sounds cool. That also has a bunch of his mods and extras built into it too I think.

@warriorpoet builds some damn nice stuff. I wish I had more money to give him.

For my dirt, I currently have:
  • green MXR Classic OD (with an external switch to flip between GT-OD and Zakk Wylde modes) set to max gain, unity volume, and tone down a bit
  • cream MXR Classic OD (pre-set to ZW-OD mode set to minimum gain, max volume, and max tone for boosting
  • Wampler Pinnacle Deluxe V1 set in vintage mode with all the controls kinda sorta in the middle
I have to say, I've been working on a song with somebody and the rehearsal studio he books (and pays for, so I'm not complaining) has shitty solid state amps (like a Crate GX600 head on a 4x12 Fender cab that I think is from the Tonemaster series). I set that amp flat. It sounded like complete ass. I turned on the Pinnacle and even with the volume rolled down to almost nothing I still got a pretty damn sweet tone.

DLS - set as a boost w/ some color to push the amp into breakup
BAT Pharaoh - doomy fuzz tones
Tight Metal jr - super metal karate chop

Lots of different ways. Usually either my Rat Clone or my Catalinbread Form. No. 5. But sometimes a fuzz. Once in a great while I will turn on a tubescreamer clone I have. Not very often though.

How do I dirt?

...let me count the ways...

On my main board there is an Ehx Hot Tubes, PedalMonsters Klone, OCD, and Dirty Little Secret...

On my practice board an Ehx Soul Food and OD Glove...

In my pedal tote, in reserve, are a Wampler Pinnacle, Tech21 Boost/OD, and Ehx Crayon and East River Drive...

Currently running the Boss MT2 Metal Zone for high gain stuff and a Digitech Hot Head for a clean boost and milder dirt sounds. My old RAT is dead, but I want a new one to split the difference between the other two. Been looking at clones, can get one pretty cheap, and some of the youtube demos are pretty darned good.

Currently running the Boss MT2 Metal Zone for high gain stuff and a Digitech Hot Head for a clean boost and milder dirt sounds. My old RAT is dead, but I want a new one to split the difference between the other two. Been looking at clones, can get one pretty cheap, and some of the youtube demos are pretty darned good.

I'm selling a USA RAT. Hit me up. :thu:

I'm enjoying playing with both channels of my Visual Sounds Jekyll/Hyde. It's like 3 levels of dirt in one pedal.

Back