How do you amplify your acoustic guitar?

I recently picked up a MosValve power amp and a couple of JBL monitors at good prices from craigslist hunting. It's too much for small stuff but it's good to know I'm covered if I ever need my own little PA.

I prefer acoustic-electrics, and I go into either a Crate CA-125D
IMGP9491_zpsab261819-1.jpg

or this Genz-Benz Shenandoah 85
IMGP9466_zpsc7898161.jpg

Both these amps have both guitar and mic inputs, as well a direct out that I can run to the PA if I need more volume, and I can use the amp as a monitor.

I prefer acoustic-electrics, and I go into either a Crate CA-125D
IMGP9491_zpsab261819-1.jpg

or this Genz-Benz Shenandoah 85
IMGP9466_zpsc7898161.jpg

Both these amps have both guitar and mic inputs, as well a direct out that I can run to the PA if I need more volume, and I can use the amp as a monitor.

Crate make about the best bang-for-your-buck acoustic amps...that's why a lot of pros use 'em! The Genz-Benz are nice, too, but a bit pricier, while really not being noticably better.

Personally, the older Crate CA60D is the amp I want, and am currently looking to buy...a bit more compact/light and a great sound for vocals and my acoustic instruments, and, really, 60 watts is plenty, as I'm always DIed into the PA, so the amp is strictly a "guitar monitor" for me.

I borrow one from a buddy when I need to work with a loud drummer (otherwise, I just plug into my PA and listen to myself through the monitors), until I get around to getting one for myself...sold the Rampage a couple months ago, because it was too heavy, literally a boat anchor!.

p23816h-16e56f5413aac57fe1626fd3cbe2f129.jpg

Taylor T5 so it's a pickup under the end of the fingerboard (not an under-bridge piezo) and a body sensor.

The output runs to a Tonebone PZ Pre and then direct to the board.

attachment.php

My tuner out feeds the harmony vocal pedal so the sound passing through that pedal is never audible. I can mute the pedal and silently comp chords to change the harmonies for an "acapella" performance.

My new Martin has a K&K Pure Mini in it. It sounds a lot more natural than your normal undersaddle piezo, but if you get REALLY percussive it can still quack a little bit. At the same time, it sounds natural enough that I can sit down with it and cut some scratch acoustic parts and not be bothered by it.

Lowden O25c with a Sunrise / LL Baggs I-Beam combo > TRS stereo cable > DTAR Solstice / Lexicon Alex.

006.jpg

DSC_0182.JPG

Crate make about the best bang-for-your-buck acoustic amps...that's why a lot of pros use 'em! The Genz-Benz are nice, too, but a bit pricier, while really not being noticably better.

Personally, the older Crate CA60D is the amp I want, and am currently looking to buy...a bit more compact/light and a great sound for vocals and my acoustic instruments, and, really, 60 watts is plenty, as I'm always DIed into the PA, so the amp is strictly a "guitar monitor" for me.

I borrow one from a buddy when I need to work with a loud drummer (otherwise, I just plug into my PA and listen to myself through the monitors), until I get around to getting one for myself...sold the Rampage a couple months ago, because it was too heavy, literally a boat anchor!.

p23816h-16e56f5413aac57fe1626fd3cbe2f129.jpg

If I were to do it again, I agree that the CA60D would make an excellent choice.

10 years ago, when I was looking for my first acoustic amp, I found the CA125D in a GC. It was used, and it had a few blemishes, so it was listed at a good price. It sounded great, so I went for it. It has always had a slight hiss coming through the tweeter, though, so a year ago I was researching an SWR California Blonde, and a Fender Acoustisonic SFX (both available used), when I saw the used Genz-Benz. When I looked at reviews of the Shenandoah 85, I realized that it was exactly what I wanted - a larger speaker (12" for the G-B vs. 8" for the Crate). I really like the low end that I get with the Genz-Benz. To me, it sounds like a richer, woodier sound. Powerwise, the two amps aren't that far apart (50w into each of 2 8" speakers, with 25W into the tweater, for the Crate - 60w into the 12" speaker for the G-B). Honestly, the Genz-Benz Shenandoah has become my go-to acoustic amp, and the Crate is a more than able backup.

Yamaha electro acoustic into DI box to a balanced line into PA. Can go direct if no DI available.

For monitoring it can either be mixed into a general monitor mix or I can run a 12" powered wedge from the loop through on the DI box.

I picked up a Crate 30 watt acoustic amp about 5 years ago. I think it's great and has very good effects. YOu can play two guitars out of it at once and use a mic too.

I have several methods: I own a Fishman loudbox mini and a loudbox performer (courtesy of the idiots at Hello Music). I have used both amps (depending on size of venue) to amplify the onboard electronics and I also have a Shure M57 for my Martin SWOMGT that sounds great through either amp.

This is a good question, and these are good suggestions. At the suggestion of the Company Christmas band leader, I ran my Gibson J-35 into the board, but it just is too much on top of 3 set of vocals, for the powered mixer, so I'm going to see about getting an acoustic amp after work today, for tomorrow's band practice.

This one will be unveiled soon. I've made the vol/output jack harness and the pickup is in. I'm waiting on 12-52 electric strings). I making me a Lo-Fi rig.

0e3c97a3-9d44-456f-914d-3fd7e5871de1_zpsbfe5af81.jpg

thumbnail.asp

cts_pro_pot.jpg

barrel_knob_black.jpg

thumbnail.asp

Into either this
shopping

or this
74567747-b7ba-4566-8ff5-8497d79d39b7_zpscc70abae.jpg

Back